1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hookes Law and Springs

1. Nov 13, 2007 #1
    1. A guy us riding a tricycle at 33kg at 12m/s when it strikes a spring and is brought to rest in 1.6m. Compute the proportionality constant and explain the type of energy, types of forces, and Hookes law applied

F = k(elongation)
    I am sure there are others.

3. my problem comes from when I try and combine f=k(elongation) with f = ma, I dont have an acceleration part of the problem. I dont have time, so I dont know impulse either. I am sure it is solvable, but I just cant figure it out at the moment.

Even if you just post the formulas I would need to do the calculations I would appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2
    Try applying third equation of motion :- v[tex]^{2}[/tex] - u[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 2aX

4. Nov 13, 2007 #3
    I dont ever recall seeing that equation before.

I am sure this is not a difficult problem, but I cant get it for the life of me.

5. Nov 13, 2007 #4
    just check out any book on Elementary Classical Mechanics, you can find 3 equations of motions there.

6. Nov 13, 2007 #5
    I have to use hookes law and kinetic/potential energy and such. As you can see, im ****ing lost. I would really appreciate any help that involves using hookes constant. I have found 2 formulas, but i dont know if I could equate them in this specific case

elastic PE = 1/2 kd^2
    KE = 1/2 mv^2

If I can equate those two I will solve for a k value. Would this be for this application, or am I completely wrong?

At this point, I would just appreciate it if someone would give me an answer. I usually appreciate it when someone helps force me to learn it myself, but im just too stressed out to spend so much time on this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?