What Formulas Can be Used to Calculate Energy and Forces in a Spring Collision?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a guy riding a tricycle at a specific weight and speed, striking a spring and being brought to rest in a certain distance. The proportionality constant for Hookes law is computed and the types of energy and forces involved are explained. The conversation also mentions using the third equation of motion and equations for elastic and kinetic energy to solve the problem, but the person is struggling to find a solution and is seeking assistance.
Eternalmetal
1. A guy us riding a tricycle at 33kg at 12m/s when it strikes a spring and is brought to rest in 1.6m. Compute the proportionality constant and explain the type of energy, types of forces, and Hookes law applied

F = k(elongation)
I am sure there are others.

3. my problem comes from when I try and combine f=k(elongation) with f = ma, I don't have an acceleration part of the problem. I don't have time, so I don't know impulse either. I am sure it is solvable, but I just can't figure it out at the moment.

Even if you just post the formulas I would need to do the calculations I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try applying third equation of motion :- v[tex]^{2}[/tex] - u[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 2aX

I don't ever recall seeing that equation before.

I am sure this is not a difficult problem, but I can't get it for the life of me.

just check out any book on Elementary Classical Mechanics, you can find 3 equations of motions there.

I have to use hookes law and kinetic/potential energy and such. As you can see, I am ****ing lost. I would really appreciate any help that involves using hookes constant. I have found 2 formulas, but i don't know if I could equate them in this specific case

elastic PE = 1/2 kd^2
KE = 1/2 mv^2

If I can equate those two I will solve for a k value. Would this be for this application, or am I completely wrong?

At this point, I would just appreciate it if someone would give me an answer. I usually appreciate it when someone helps force me to learn it myself, but I am just too stressed out to spend so much time on this.

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force needed to stretch or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. In other words, the more you stretch or compress a spring, the more force it will exert.

2. How is Hooke's Law represented mathematically?

Hooke's Law is represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

3. What is the significance of the spring constant in Hooke's Law?

The spring constant, k, is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. It is unique to each spring and determines how much force is needed to stretch or compress the spring a certain distance. A higher spring constant means a stiffer spring that requires more force to stretch or compress, while a lower spring constant means a less stiff spring that requires less force.

4. How is Hooke's Law used in real-life applications?

Hooke's Law is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in springs used in car suspensions, door hinges, and trampolines. It is also used in medical devices, such as prosthetics and orthodontic braces, to apply a controlled amount of force.

5. What are the limitations of Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is only applicable to elastic materials, meaning materials that can return to their original shape after being stretched or compressed. It also assumes that the spring is being stretched or compressed within its elastic limit, meaning it will not be permanently deformed. Additionally, Hooke's Law is only accurate for small deformations and may not hold true for larger deformations.