How Do You Calculate the Spring Constant from Two Different Masses?

In summary, the problem involves two identical springs with different masses, 1 kg and 1.5 kg, and different lengths, 6 cm and 7 cm. The displacement between the two springs is 1 cm. To find the spring constant k, some calculations are needed. One method is to create a system of equations with the two unknowns, original length and k, and solve them together. Another method is to use Hooke's law, which states that the change in length per change in force is constant. By dividing the difference in force by the difference in length, the spring constant can be found. The correct answer for k is 5 N/cm.
brake4country
I need help with a spring problem:

Two identical springs hung from a ceiling have different masses. The first spring is 1 kg with a total length of 6 cm. The second spring is 1.5 kg and is 7 cm in length. The displacement between the two springs is 1 cm. Find the spring constant k.

(A) 2 N/cm
(B) 5 N/cm
(C) 10 N/cm
(D) 20 N/cm

I started solving each equation for k, but ended up with different values. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The critical piece of information we miss is the length of the springs (since they both identical) in their natural position. Suppose x is that length, then you can make a system of two equations with two unknowns which are the x and k. The first equation is from the first spring and is
1*g=k*(6-x)

find the 2nd equation from the second identical spring and solve the system of equations.

(g=10m/s^2)

I am confused. In Hooke's problems, how is the original length of the spring applicable? Aren't we just concerned with F, difference in x and k?

Thanks.

Yes it is F=-k*x where x is the displacement from the original length. The problem says that the total length is 6cm for the first spring, and not the displacement from the original length. So its not F=-k*6 but F=-k(6-x) where x is the original length.

Alternatively you can put as x the displacement from the original length . Then it would be 1*g=k*x for the first spring. For the second spring the displacement from the original length will be x+1 so you can make the equation for the second spring and solve again the system of two equations for x and k.

brake4country said:
I need help with a spring problem:

Two identical springs hung from a ceiling have different masses. The first spring is 1 kg with a total length of 6 cm. The second spring is 1.5 kg and is 7 cm in length. The displacement between the two springs is 1 cm. Find the spring constant k.

(A) 2 N/cm
(B) 5 N/cm
(C) 10 N/cm
(D) 20 N/cm

I started solving each equation for k, but ended up with different values. Thanks in advance.
Show what you did.

I assume these are identical springs, the only difference being the amount of mass hung from each (not the mass of the spring itself).

brake4country said:
Two identical springs are hung from a ceiling. To the first spring is added 1 kg to leave that spring with a total length of 6 cm. To the second spring is added 1.5kg so that spring now is 7 cm in length. Find the spring constant k.
[strike]The displacement between the two springs is 1 cm.[/strike]

(A) 2 N/cm
(B) 5 N/cm
(C) 10 N/cm
(D) 20 N/cm
There, problem statement fixed! ... I think.

brake4country said:
how is the original length of the spring applicable? Aren't we just concerned with F, difference in x and k?

Exactly: We are concerned with the difference in x ... which is equal to the final x minus the original xIn the problem, though, you are only given the final length, not the original length.That means there are two unknowns (original x and k)
(Two unknowns makes the equation for each spring individually unsolvable; you must solve them together)

I have tried this problem using two unknowns but it just doesn't come out. Here is what I did:

a) Take the difference of the masses (1.5 kg-1 kg) = 0.5 kg
b) Then, I used mg = kx
c) (0.5 kg)(10 m/s^2) = k (1 cm)
d) Now my answer turns out to be 5 N

This is faster and easier than working a quadratic. Did anyone try to solve a system of equations and end up with a quadratic? I couldn't get a positive answer.

brake4country said:
Did anyone try to solve a system of equations and end up with a quadratic?

You shouldn't get a quadratic:

[itex]k(7-x)=1.5g[/itex]
[itex]k(6-x)=g[/itex]

[itex]x=7-\frac{1.5g}{k}[/itex]
[itex]x=6-\frac{g}{k}[/itex]

[itex]7-\frac{1.5g}{k}=6-\frac{g}{k}[/itex]

[itex]k=0.5g[/itex]

Your method works also. (Δmg=kΔx)

brake4country said:

Be careful with units:
On the left side you have Newtons and then you divide it by cm so your answer is in the units N/cm

Well the answer is correct however the steps of the solution doesn't fully justify it. You have to make one equation per spring, then it is possible by simple mathematical treatment of the system of two equations to end up in step c) and avoid quadratic.

I think the method was valid, provided it was used with a clear understanding of hooke's law.

Hooke's law could be said to say "the change in length per change in force is constant"

So it would be justified to divide the change in force by the change in length to get the spring's constant (thus avoiding the system of equations).

Likes 1 person
I see. I made some errors in my calculations. Thanks everyone!

Likes theanswer2physicsisu
brake4country said:
I have tried this problem using two unknowns but it just doesn't come out. Here is what I did:

a) Take the difference of the masses (1.5 kg-1 kg) = 0.5 kg
b) Then, I used mg = kx

This is faster and easier than working a quadratic. Did anyone try to solve a system of equations and end up with a quadratic? I couldn't get a positive answer.

This is a good method of solving for the spring constant, k. It is more direct than creating multiple equations and solving them together. By plugging in the different of masses between the two boxes and the difference in length for m and x, respectively, you effectively reduce number of steps required to solve the problem. The final step would be to of course divide both sides by 1cm for a final answer of k = 5N/cm which is correct. Unit dimensional analysis can often help deduce or confirm and double check for the correct answer.

theanswer2physicsisu said:
This is a good method of solving for the spring constant, k. It is more direct than creating multiple equations and solving them together. By plugging in the different of masses between the two boxes and the difference in length for m and x, respectively, you effectively reduce number of steps required to solve the problem. The final step would be to of course divide both sides by 1cm for a final answer of k = 5N/cm which is correct. Unit dimensional analysis can often help deduce or confirm and double check for the correct answer.
You have replied to a thread which is more than 8 years old.

SammyS said:
You have replied to a thread which is more than 8 years old.
Not to mention that the quickest solution to this is to observe that, because the springs are identical, one is given two points on the straight line ##F=kx## with zero intercept. Then the slope is $$k=\frac{\text{Rise}}{\text{Run}}=\frac{(m_2-m_1)g}{x_2-x_1}.$$

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the force applied to an elastic material, such as a spring, and the resulting deformation or change in length of the material. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the amount of deformation, as long as the material remains within its elastic limit.

2. Who discovered Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law was discovered by the English scientist Robert Hooke in the 17th century. He first published his findings in his book "De Potentia Restitutiva" in 1678.

3. What is the formula for Hooke's Law?

The formula for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the spring), and x is the displacement or change in length of the spring.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the spring constant?

The unit of measurement for the spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m) in the SI (International System of Units) system. However, it can also be expressed in other units such as pounds per inch (lb/in) in the English system.

5. What is the practical application of Hooke's Law and springs?

Hooke's Law and springs have many practical applications in everyday life, such as in car suspensions, door hinges, and even in the design of mattresses. They are also used in various scientific instruments, such as weighing scales and force gauges. Additionally, Hooke's Law is the basis for understanding the behavior of other elastic materials, such as rubber bands and trampolines.