1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hooke's Law - Find K

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A massless spring of length 0.260 m is in its relaxed position. It is compressed to 68.0 percent of its relaxed length, and a mass M=0.240 kg is placed on top and released from rest (shown on the right). The mass then travels vertically, taking 1.60 s to reach the top of its trajectory. Calculate the spring constant.

2. Relevant equations

F = -kx
    Spring potential = 0.5kx^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I would prefer if someone explained the concept behind it so that I can work it out myself, rather than people just posting answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

So if the spring is compressed to 68% of its initial length, to what length is is compressed to?

Thus by how much is it compressed by?

Now they say that, it takes 1.6s to reach the top of the trajectory. So all the energy stored in the spring is converted into what sort of energy?

When you figure out that, then can you make an equation relating the energy stored to the converted energy?

(Also remember, it is only being influenced by gravity g)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook