Understanding Hooke's Law: A Simplified Guide for High School Students

In summary, Hooke's Law is the direct relationship between an applied force and the change in the length of a spring. This can be represented by the equation F=-kx, where x is the stretch length of the spring and k is the spring constant. Essentially, this means that when a spring is stretched or compressed, there is a restoring force that tries to bring it back to its original length. The negative sign in the equation indicates that this force acts in the opposite direction of the displacement.
meikamae
I have a math project on Hooke's Law and I have found a lot of information on the subject. The problem is, I'm in the tenth grade and none of it seems to make sense to me. I have never taken a physics class, and yet I have been assigned to do a project on a Law that is definitely related to physics. Is there any simple way of explaining Hooke's Law?

Physics news on Phys.org
hooke's law is the direct relationship between an applied force and the change in the leangth of a spring. the equation is F=-kx, where x is the stretch leangth in the spring and k is the spring constant. (units for k are Newtons per meter (i think!, don't bet your life on it))
basically, an item hanging from a spring must be balanced by an upwards force caused by the spring called restoring force. \
hope that helped...

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome to PF.

As it happens, Hooke's law is not that difficult to understand. Have you played with a Slinky before? If so, then you probably know that if left undisturbed, it sits at a certain length. If you compress it and let it go, it will try to return to that length, but will undergo damped oscillations. If you stretch it out and let it go, the same thing will happen.

The force that acts to push/pull the Slinky back to its original length is called a restoring force, and Hooke's law says that this force (F) is proportional to the displacement (x) from the original length, or:

F=-kx

Here, k is the proportionality constant (unique to each spring), and the minus sign indicates that the force points in the opposite direction as the displacement.

In other words, if you displace the spring this way: --->
the restoring force pulls back this way: <---
and vice versa.

Originally posted by maximus
F=-kx

and the negitive sign is there to show that the direction of the restoring force caused by the spring is opposite from the direction of the stretch of the spring (or slinky, whatever).

Last edited:

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that explains the relationship between the force applied to an object and the resulting deformation or change in shape of the object. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the amount of deformation, or stretch, of the object.

2. Who discovered Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law was discovered by English scientist Robert Hooke in the 17th century. He noticed that the stretching of a spring was directly related to the amount of force applied to it, and he formulated this relationship into what is now known as Hooke's Law.

3. What are the units of measurement for force and deformation in Hooke's Law?

The units of measurement for force in Hooke's Law are in newtons (N), while the units for deformation are in meters (m) or centimeters (cm). However, in some cases, force may be measured in pounds (lbs) or kilograms (kg) and deformation in inches (in) or millimeters (mm).

4. How can Hooke's Law be applied in real-life situations?

Hooke's Law can be applied in many real-life situations, such as in the design of springs, elastic bands, and bungee cords. It is also used in the field of engineering to determine the stress and strain on materials, and in medical devices like prosthetics and braces.

5. What are the limitations of Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is only applicable to objects that behave in a linear manner, meaning the force applied is directly proportional to the deformation. It also assumes that the object being studied is elastic, meaning it can return to its original shape after the force is removed. In reality, there are many materials that do not behave in a linear or elastic manner, making Hooke's Law not applicable.