1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hooke's law problem

1. May 7, 2008 #1
    A 0.2 kg block of wood is attached to a spring with a spring constant k = 25 N/m. The block is initially at rest and the spring is at its equilibrium length aligned along the x-axis. A dart of mass 0.05 kg is thrown at a block of wood, undergoes an inelastic collision and sticks into the block. the initial speed of the dart is 0.1 m/s and is parallel to the x-axis. The maximum displacement of the block from its equilibrium position in m is: ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I used m1Vi + m2Vi = (m1+ m2) Vf
    to find Vf = 0.1 m/s

I know F= k x
    I dunno know how you would find F.
    Please help
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2008 #2
    Please recheck your vf, because I find something different using your equation. Then, you can try using Hooke's law with conservation of energy (the spring force is a conservative force). Where is the energy from the moving block and dart going when they slow down to a stop?
  4. May 7, 2008 #3
    I don't think you have the right value for v_f -

(0.2 kg)*(0 m/s) + (0.05 kg)*(0.1 m/s) = (0.25 kg)*v_f
    v_f = 0.02 m/s

Although the collision between the dart and the block is inelastic, the compression of a spring does conserve the sum of the kinetic energy and the elastic potential energy!
  5. May 7, 2008 #4
    Thank you I got it. I made a mistake with the calculations b4..but this is the way right?

Since F= PV => F = (mv)v ==> F= 0.25

F= kx
    0.25/25 N/m = x
    x= 0.01 m
  6. May 7, 2008 #5
    Why do you say F = pv?
  7. May 7, 2008 #6
    F is not equal to the product of momentum and velocity.... (you can see this by comparing the units of F (kg*m/s^2) and the units of pv (kg*m/s*m/s)).

It's important to see here that the sum of elastic potential energy and kinetic energy is conserved. So what is the elastic potential energy of a spring compressed distance x?
  8. May 7, 2008 #7
    Sorry I meant P = Fv therefore F = P/V and since P=mv, F = mv/v = m ?
  9. May 7, 2008 #8
    Whoa, you've just said F=mv/v = m.... But force isn't equal to mass!
  10. May 7, 2008 #9
    So 1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 kx^2
    x = 0.01 m
  11. May 7, 2008 #10
    Can you show your substitution? There seems to be a mistake there.
  12. May 8, 2008 #11
    1/2 (0.25 kg)(0.02 m/s) = 1/2 (25 N/m)(x^2)
    x^2 = 0.002 m

I put the answer for the rong question before..sorry abt that :$
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?