Hooke's Law: Calculate Spring Constant k in Newtons or kg?

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding Hooke's Law and calculating the spring constant (k). The person asking the question is unsure if the mass in the formula should be in Newtons or kilograms, and another person clarifies that mass should always be in kilograms when using this equation.
misskitty
Morning peoples,

I have a query about Hooke's Law. :confused: I have a problem which asks me to calculate the spring constant (k). I know how to do it, but my question is when I use the formula mg/x can mass be in Newtons or does it have to be in kg?

Looking forward to your answers. Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Mass is never in Newtons. Newtons is a unit of force (remember F=ma?). That being said, if you want to redefine your equation by saying

k = (mg)/x = F/x

Then you can use your force directly.

Thanks for clarifying. Sometimes its hard to remember the simple stuff, you know? Thanks Fred. :smile:

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a physical law that states the force required to stretch or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

2. How do you calculate the spring constant k?

The spring constant, represented by the letter k, is calculated by dividing the applied force by the resulting displacement of the spring.

3. What are the units for the spring constant k?

The units for the spring constant k can vary depending on the units used for force and displacement. However, common units include Newtons (N) or kilograms (kg) per meter (m).

4. Can Hooke's Law be applied to all springs?

Hooke's Law is a simplified model and may not accurately describe the behavior of all types of springs. It is most accurate for ideal springs with linear behavior.

5. How can Hooke's Law be used in real-life situations?

Hooke's Law has many practical applications, such as in the design of suspension systems, measuring weight with a spring scale, and in various experiments in physics and engineering.