Solving Hookes Law: Find Spring Constant & Weight of Package

In summary: But the problem statement says that's the length of the scale, not the length of the spring. Also, the unloaded length of the spring wouldn't help; the unloaded length could be any length and it wouldn't tell you anything about its spring constant.If they gave you the displacement of the center about which the oscillation occurs, that would be different.
LogicX

Homework Statement

The scale of a spring balance that reads from 0 to 20.7 kg is 14.9 cm long. A package suspended from the balance is found to oscillate vertically with a frequency of 1.51 Hz. (a) What is the spring constant? (b) How much does the package weigh?

Homework Equations

F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer, I'm not sure why it is done that way. You set kx=mg and solve for k, where x is the length of the spring. Why is that the x value? I thought the spring force only equaled gravity at the equilibrium point? Certainly the equilibrium point will change from the original length of the spring when you hang a mass from it.

Also, why is F=-kx some places, and others you just use F=kx, such as this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
LogicX said:

Homework Statement

The scale of a spring balance that reads from 0 to 20.7 kg is 14.9 cm long. A package suspended from the balance is found to oscillate vertically with a frequency of 1.51 Hz. (a) What is the spring constant? (b) How much does the package weigh?

Homework Equations

F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer, I'm not sure why it is done that way. You set kx=mg and solve for k, where x is the length of the spring.

What value for x are you going to plug in?

Also, why is F=-kx some places, and others you just use F=kx, such as this problem?

It depends upon the user's choice of coordinate system.

gneill said:
What value for x are you going to plug in?
It depends upon the user's choice of coordinate system.

I don't know what value of x I would use, but I'm still unsure why they give you that x value rather than the equilibrium x value. If the original spring with no mass on it hangs down a certain length, then how can that length be used to compute when the spring force equals gravity? That would mean the spring would not extend down.

I don't see where they gave any x-value in the problem statement. And usually it's \Delta x that's involved (the displacement from the equilibrium position).

LogicX said:
I don't know what value of x I would use, but I'm still unsure why they give you that x value rather than the equilibrium x value. If the original spring with no mass on it hangs down a certain length, then how can that length be used to compute when the spring force equals gravity? That would mean the spring would not extend down.

I think you were confused by the misleading infomration about the spring/balance being 149cm long. The solution to the problem only requires the mass and the frequency. No "x" involved.

gneill said:
I don't see where they gave any x-value in the problem statement. And usually it's \Delta x that's involved (the displacement from the equilibrium position).

Well in the solution manual they just use the original value of the spring, 14.9cm, as the x in kx=mg.

LogicX said:
Well in the solution manual they just use the original value of the spring, 14.9cm, as the x in kx=mg.

But the problem statement says that's the length of the scale, not the length of the spring. Also, the unloaded length of the spring wouldn't help; the unloaded length could be any length and it wouldn't tell you anything about its spring constant.

If they gave you the displacement of the center about which the oscillation occurs, that would be different.

I suspect that the question statement is incomplete or not properly posed.

1. What is Hooke's Law and how does it relate to finding the spring constant and weight of a package?

Hooke's Law is a physics principle that states the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. This law can be used to calculate the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring, and the weight of a package attached to the spring.

2. How do you measure the spring constant using Hooke's Law?

To measure the spring constant, you will need to attach a known weight to the spring and measure the distance that the spring is stretched. Then, using the formula F = kx (where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance stretched), you can solve for k.

3. What units are used for the spring constant and weight in Hooke's Law?

The spring constant is typically measured in units of Newtons per meter (N/m), while weight is measured in units of Newtons (N). However, other units can also be used as long as they are consistent throughout the calculation.

4. Can Hooke's Law be used for non-linear springs?

Hooke's Law is only applicable to linear springs, where the force is directly proportional to the displacement. Non-linear springs, such as those with a varying stiffness, require more complex calculations and cannot be accurately described by Hooke's Law.

5. Are there any limitations to using Hooke's Law to find the spring constant and weight of a package?

Hooke's Law assumes that the spring is being stretched or compressed within its elastic limit, meaning that it will return to its original shape once the force is removed. If the spring is stretched beyond its elastic limit, the law will no longer apply and the calculated values may not be accurate.