Hooke's Law: Explaining Why Weight Changes Cause Different Spring Movement

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in the amount of extension of a spring when different weights are applied. The individual is unsure of the cause for this difference but suggests that the K constant may play a role. It is also mentioned that the spring may not completely follow Hooke's Law and an experiment is suggested to further explore this concept.
ConquestAce
How come a spring with applied weight of 1000 g goes down 9.8 cm but the same spring with applied weight of 500g goes only 3.7 cm down?

This is from my own lab that I preformed, and I need help in explaining why this occurs. I searched online but didn't get any clear answers, my only assumption at the moment is that k constant is the reason why this occurs, but I am not too sure.

The K values for the same spring is differnt when I calculate it, and I am confused on why that happens.

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously the spring doesn't follow Hooke's Law completely. More than likely it is following Hooke's Law for small loads but it starts to yield at higher loads.

An interesting experimental followup would be to take the same spring and put 100g, 200g, 200g, ... 900g on it, measure the amount of extension for each, and plot a graph. Does it start out as more or less a straight line, and then start to curve with larger weights, or does it curve all the way?

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. In other words, the more you stretch or compress a spring, the more force it will exert.

2. Who discovered Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law was discovered by English scientist Robert Hooke in the 17th century. He first observed this principle while studying the behavior of springs and elastic materials.

3. How does Hooke's Law apply to weight changes?

Hooke's Law can be used to explain why weight changes cause different spring movement. When you add weight to a spring, it stretches the spring and increases the force it exerts. Similarly, when you remove weight from a spring, it compresses the spring and decreases the force it exerts.

4. What is the mathematical equation for Hooke's Law?

The mathematical equation for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the spring), and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

5. How is Hooke's Law used in real-life applications?

Hooke's Law is used in various real-life applications, such as in the design of springs for vehicles and machines, in the construction of bridges and buildings, and in medical devices such as prosthetics and braces. It is also used in materials testing to determine the strength and elasticity of different materials.