1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hooke's Law question

1. Apr 6, 2014 #1
    How come a spring with applied weight of 1000 g goes down 9.8 cm but the same spring with applied weight of 500g goes only 3.7 cm down?

This is from my own lab that I preformed, and I need help in explaining why this occurs. I searched online but didn't get any clear answers, my only assumption at the moment is that k constant is the reason why this occurs, but I am not too sure.

The K values for the same spring is differnt when I calculate it, and I am confused on why that happens.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2014 #2
    Obviously the spring doesn't follow Hooke's Law completely. More than likely it is following Hooke's Law for small loads but it starts to yield at higher loads.

4. Apr 6, 2014 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

An interesting experimental followup would be to take the same spring and put 100g, 200g, 200g, ... 900g on it, measure the amount of extension for each, and plot a graph. Does it start out as more or less a straight line, and then start to curve with larger weights, or does it curve all the way?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook