Solving Hooke's Law Troubleshooting Homework

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the force constant for a spring. They found the force but are having trouble with the extension. They found the force using the points (0, 0) and (0.039, 8.4000). They put these into the slope equation, which resulted in the value of k.
garr6120

Homework Statement

i am doing this hooke's law lab to figure out a spring's force constant. I am plotting Force vs. Extension on a graph and then i can calculate the k value using slope however, i keep getting a quadratic instead of a linear line.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found out the values for my force but multiplying the mass of the weight on the spring by the force of gravity; 9.81 m/s^2. i then had to calculate my extension which i calculated by subtracting the masses extension of the spring by the equilibrium position. Here is a table of values to show you:
mass (kg) Extension (m) Force (N)
0.0 0.000 0.0000
0.1 0.008 0.0008
0.2 0.010 0.0020
0.3 0.015 0.0045
0.4 0.021 0.0084
0.6 0.026 0.0156
0.8 0.032 0.0256
1.0 0.041 0.0410

Physics news on Phys.org
There's something about your table which is confusing. If the mass = 1.0 kg, shouldn't the force acting on the spring be 9.8 N approximately? How come your table indicates the force is 0.041 N?

Similarly, if the mass = 0.1 kg, shouldn't the force be 10% of that for a mass of 1.0 kg? How did you get 0.0008 N?

You show three columns of numbers. Which column is what?

ya sorry steamking i don't know why but i put my force into excel so that my mass would multiply by my extension instead of the force of gravity oops. one more question does 215.4 N/m sound right based on this data?

garr6120 said:
ya sorry steamking i don't know why but i put my force into excel so that my mass would multiply by my extension instead of the force of gravity oops. one more question does 215.4 N/m sound right based on this data?

Why don't you show your calculation of this value?

On the graph that i created i used the points (0, 0) and (0.039, 8.4000). I put these into the slope equation ##\frac{force_2-force_1}{extension_2-extension_1}##, ##\frac{8.4000 N-0.0000 N}{0.039 m-0.000 m}## therefore, ##k=214.4 \frac{N}{m}##

Why did you throw out the last reading when the mass = 1.0 kg?

1. What is Hooke's Law and how does it relate to solving physics problems?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the force needed to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is extended or compressed. This law is often used in physics problems involving springs and elastic materials, as it provides a simple and accurate way to calculate the relationship between force and displacement.

2. How do I identify and solve problems involving Hooke's Law?

To identify and solve problems involving Hooke's Law, you will need to first understand the variables involved. These include the force applied to the spring, the displacement of the spring, and the spring constant (k) which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. Once you have identified these variables, you can use the formula F = -kx to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are some common mistakes students make when solving Hooke's Law problems?

One common mistake students make when solving Hooke's Law problems is forgetting to convert units to the correct form. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent throughout the problem to get an accurate answer. Another mistake is using the wrong formula, as there are different variations of Hooke's Law that may apply to different situations.

4. How do I troubleshoot Hooke's Law problems if I am getting the wrong answer?

If you are getting the wrong answer when solving a Hooke's Law problem, it is important to check your calculations and units for errors. Make sure that you are using the correct formula and that all units are consistent. If you are still getting the wrong answer, try solving the problem using a different method or getting help from a teacher or tutor.

5. How can I apply Hooke's Law to real-life situations?

Hooke's Law can be applied to many real-life situations, such as in engineering, architecture, and sports. For example, Hooke's Law can be used to design and test the strength of materials used in building structures, or to calculate the force needed to compress a spring in a trampoline. Understanding Hooke's Law can also help us understand and predict the behavior of various objects under stress or strain.