Hooke's law with a bungee jump

In summary: The bungee operator can change the unstretched length of the rope, which will affect the tension force and therefore the elongation of the rope. To calculate the distance the rope has stretched in 0.02s, you can use Hooke's law and consider the time as a variable in the equation. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
mickg77
Hi my problem is that I have to model a bungee jump and enter it into a flowchart. I've worked out the free-fall part, but my problem is that the jumper has now reached the point where hookes law comes into play.

The jumper mass is 90kg
The unstretched length of the rope is 15m(of neglible mass) but the bungee operator can change this at a rate of +/- 0.5ms at any time
It extends by 1% for every 12N if tension force. The drag force is 0.3v^2.

What I really want to do is calculate how far the rope has stretched in 0.02s. Is there any way of using time with Hooke's law?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
mickg77 said:
Hi my problem is that I have to model a bungee jump and enter it into a flowchart. I've worked out the free-fall part, but my problem is that the jumper has now reached the point where hookes law comes into play.

The jumper mass is 90kg
The unstretched length of the rope is 15m(of neglible mass) but the bungee operator can change this at a rate of +/- 0.5ms at any time
It extends by 1% for every 12N if tension force. The drag force is 0.3v^2.

What I really want to do is calculate how far the rope has stretched in 0.02s. Is there any way of using time with Hooke's law?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

You have to carry out a force balance on the jumper.

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the extension of a spring or elastic material is directly proportional to the force applied to it.

2. How does Hooke's Law apply to a bungee jump?

In a bungee jump, the bungee cord acts as an elastic material that stretches when a person jumps off a high platform. The force of gravity pulls the person down, causing the bungee cord to stretch according to Hooke's Law.

3. What is the significance of Hooke's Law in bungee jumping?

Hooke's Law helps determine the length of the bungee cord needed for a safe and enjoyable jump. It ensures that the cord can stretch enough to slow down the person's descent without breaking.

4. How does the length of the bungee cord affect the bungee jump?

The length of the bungee cord determines the distance a person will fall before being pulled back up. A longer cord will result in a longer free fall and a more thrilling jump, while a shorter cord will provide a shorter free fall and a gentler experience.

5. What happens if the bungee cord is too long or too short?

If the bungee cord is too long, the person may hit the ground or water with too much force, risking injury. If the cord is too short, the person may not experience a full free fall, resulting in a less exciting jump. It is essential to calculate the appropriate length of the cord based on Hooke's Law for a safe and enjoyable bungee jump.