1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hooke's law

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1
    Hiya,

I have had to do an investigation on hookes law as part of my primary school teaching course. i am by far not the best at understanding physics. Can someone please explain to me what effect the width of a piece of elastic has on its elasticity and why?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2
    In an extent, the coeficient is propotional to the cross-sectional area of the object (a rubber band or ..)

4. Oct 30, 2007 #3
    Thanks

5. Oct 30, 2007 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

The elastic co-efficients of a material depend only on the material itself.

If a certain force is required to stretch a wire by a certain fraction of its original length, then double the force will be required to stretch a wire of double the cross-section by ths same fraction. This means that, other things being the same, the force required to stretch a wire is proportional to the cross-section. This is valid for small deformations, where Hooke's law is valid.

When a wire stretches, its cross-section reduces, but the volume need not be constant.

If you could ask a more specific question, perhaps you can get a definite answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook