Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hooke's law

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1

I have had to do an investigation on hookes law as part of my primary school teaching course. i am by far not the best at understanding physics. Can someone please explain to me what effect the width of a piece of elastic has on its elasticity and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2
    In an extent, the coeficient is propotional to the cross-sectional area of the object (a rubber band or ..)
  4. Oct 30, 2007 #3
  5. Oct 30, 2007 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

The elastic co-efficients of a material depend only on the material itself.

If a certain force is required to stretch a wire by a certain fraction of its original length, then double the force will be required to stretch a wire of double the cross-section by ths same fraction. This means that, other things being the same, the force required to stretch a wire is proportional to the cross-section. This is valid for small deformations, where Hooke's law is valid.

When a wire stretches, its cross-section reduces, but the volume need not be constant.

If you could ask a more specific question, perhaps you can get a definite answer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?