Student Struggling with Hookes Law - 18 Year Old Physics Student

In summary, Hooke's law models the extension of a spring under a load and states that the force applied to the spring is directly proportional to its extension. The constant k can be calculated by plotting the change in length against the applied force. However, most materials do not obey Hooke's law and instead follow non-linear theories of elasticity. Rubber, for example, does not obey Hooke's law due to its polymetric structure and displays hysteresis and a different recovery route when unloaded.
z3sh4n
hi, I am a student 18 years of age, I am currently starting my first year of physics, and I've got an exam coming up, on mechanics, materials and waves

i can't seem to get a grip on hookes law, could someone explain it please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

The Hookes law simply models the extension of a spring under a load. If you have a spring that follows this law, then it simply says that the force applied to the spring will extend the spring. If you double this force, you double the extension of the spring.

Cheers

A spring that obeys Hooke's law, when displaced from its equilibrium position by a distance [tex]\Delta x[/tex], exerts a force which acts to compress the spring if it has been stretched or vice versa with magnitude [tex]F=k \Delta x[/tex] where k is the spring constant. The point is that the force directed towards the equilibrium point increases linearly with displacement.

thanks very much for that.

but how would you calculate the constant k

and what about the rubber not obbeying hookes law. when i was doing a past paper that is one of the questions that actually came up, i could slighty figure it out but other wise i was completely lost

Hi there,

Elastic might follow Hookes' law. To find out, apply a certain force to the spring/rubber and measure the deformation. By doubling the force applied to it, verify that the elongation double also. If so, then you device follows Hookes' law.

Cheers

z3sh4n said:

and what about the rubber not obbeying hookes law. when i was doing a past paper that is one of the questions that actually came up, i could slighty figure it out but other wise i was completely lost

The easiest way to measure 'k' (especially for a spring) is to hang weights off one end; plotting mg versus the change in length gives (approximately) a line, the slope of which is 'k'.

Most materials do not obey Hooke's law (it's a linear approximation). Non-linear theories of elasticity are much more complex.

z3sh4n said:

Because of its polymetric structure rubber does not obey Hooke's law.It stretches easily at first because the polymer chains are being straightened but once straightened it becomes harder to stretch because the molecules themselves are being separated.Rubber also displays something called hysteresis and recovers by a different route when it is unloaded.

1. What is Hookes Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an elastic object and the resulting deformation or change in its shape. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the amount of deformation, as long as the object remains within its elastic limit.

2. What is the elastic limit?

The elastic limit is the maximum amount of force that can be applied to an object without causing it to permanently deform or break. Beyond this limit, the object will no longer return to its original shape once the force is removed.

3. How do you calculate the force in Hookes Law?

The force in Hookes Law can be calculated using the formula F = kx, where F is the applied force, k is the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the object), and x is the amount of deformation.

4. What is the significance of Hookes Law?

Hookes Law is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand the behavior of elastic objects and how they respond to external forces. It is also the basis for many real-world applications, such as designing springs and determining the stress and strain of materials.

5. How can I apply Hookes Law in real life?

Hookes Law can be applied in various real-world situations, such as designing and testing springs, determining the ideal tension for guitar strings, and understanding the behavior of materials under stress. It is also useful in industries like engineering, architecture, and construction to ensure the structural integrity of buildings and structures.