Force, Displacement & Stress: Is There a Connection?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between force, stress, displacement, and strain in a spring. The formulas for stress and strain are explained and it is mentioned that they have different units. The concept of Young's modulus and its units are also clarified. The conversation concludes by mentioning the usefulness of non-dimensional quantities in extending experimental results.
Procrastinate
Just a quick question:

I was wondering whether the Force Applied to a spring equates to the stress and whether the Displacement of a spring equates to the strain.

I have been researching this on the internet and the units of stress are completely different to Force Applied and the same for displacement and strain. Thus, I have been wondering whether they mean the same thing or whether I will have to do conversions?

Thank you very much for your help.

Also, is Young's Modulus or the Elastic Modulus the constant of a stress vs. strain graph or Force vs. Displacement because I read on a website it is measured in GPa and I was under the impression that the Elastic Modulus had no units.

Physics news on Phys.org
Procrastinate said:
Just a quick question:

I was wondering whether the Force Applied to a spring equates to the stress and whether the Displacement of a spring equates to the strain.

If by 'equates', you mean similar then yes technically.

Stress = Force/Area (Units of N/m2 or Pa)

Strain = extension/Length (has no units)

So the graph would look the same essentially.

Procrastinate said:
I have been researching this on the internet and the units of stress are completely different to Force Applied and the same for displacement and strain. Thus, I have been wondering whether they mean the same thing or whether I will have to do conversions?

Well I showed you above the formulas and how the quantities relate to each other.

Procrastinate said:
Also, is Young's Modulus or the Elastic Modulus the constant of a stress vs. strain graph or Force vs. Displacement because I read on a website it is measured in GPa and I was under the impression that the Elastic Modulus had no units.

Young's modulus = Stress/Strain so its units would be N/m2 or Pa

Within the elastic region is Young's Modulus constant.

Back in the 19th century, many people used force and stress interchangeably, but by the 20th century, stress was well-defined as force per unit area. Strain is an example of a non-dimensional quantity, as is stress/Young's modulus. These non-dimensional quantities are useful ways of extending the application of experimental results to objects not tested. Hooke would have said that load is proportional to displacement, but the modern approach of stress v strain is more useful.

1. What is the relationship between force, displacement, and stress?

The relationship between force, displacement, and stress is known as Hooke's Law. This law states that the amount of deformation or displacement of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it, and the stress (force per unit area) is directly proportional to the amount of deformation. In other words, the more force applied to an object, the more it will deform and the higher the stress will be.

2. How is stress measured?

Stress is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m2). It can also be measured using other units, such as pascals (Pa) or megapascals (MPa). Stress can be measured using instruments such as strain gauges or by calculating the force divided by the cross-sectional area of the object.

3. Can displacement affect stress?

Yes, displacement can affect stress. As mentioned in Hooke's Law, the amount of displacement or deformation of an object is directly proportional to the stress applied to it. This means that as an object is displaced, the stress will also change in proportion to the displacement. For example, if a force is applied to stretch a spring, the more the spring is displaced, the higher the stress will be.

4. How does force affect stress?

Force is a major factor in determining stress. The more force that is applied to an object, the higher the stress will be. This is because the force is causing the object to deform or displace, which in turn creates stress. Additionally, the direction and magnitude of the force can also affect the type and amount of stress on an object.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the connection between force, displacement, and stress?

Understanding the relationship between force, displacement, and stress is crucial in many fields, including engineering, materials science, and biomechanics. It allows us to predict and control how different materials will behave under different forces and loads, leading to the design of stronger and more durable structures and products. This knowledge also helps in understanding the causes of failure or deformation in various objects and how to prevent or mitigate them.