Kinetic Energy of a Rotating Hoop - Physics Forum

In summary, the kinetic energy of a rotating hoop is the energy associated with its rotational motion, and it can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2. Factors such as mass, radius, and angular velocity affect its kinetic energy, and it is higher than that of a non-rotating hoop due to its rotational motion. Real-world applications include roller coasters, gyroscopes, flywheels, and the study of celestial bodies.
rmfw
Hey PF, this is just a quick question:

If there's a hoop of mass M and radius a rotating around its vertical axis (see pic) and I want to write the kinetic energy for the Lagrangian is it just [itex] T = \frac{1}{2} M a^2 w^2 [/itex] ? Considering w the angular velocity

Attachments

• hoop.jpg
    hoop.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite. What is the moment of inertia for this set up?

[itex] T =\frac{1}{2} w^2 \frac{1}{2} M a^2 [/itex] ? is it more close to the answer now?

Yeah it's right now

Likes 1 person
Hi there,

Yes, you are correct in your calculation of the kinetic energy for a rotating hoop. The kinetic energy of a rotating object can be calculated using the formula T = 1/2 I w^2, where I is the moment of inertia and w is the angular velocity. In the case of a hoop rotating around its vertical axis, the moment of inertia can be calculated as I = 1/2 M a^2, where M is the mass and a is the radius of the hoop. Substituting this into the formula for kinetic energy, we get T = 1/2 (1/2 M a^2) w^2, which simplifies to T = 1/4 M a^2 w^2. So, your calculation is correct.

It's important to note that this formula assumes that the hoop is a solid, uniform object. If the hoop has a different shape or is not uniform, the moment of inertia may be different and the calculation for kinetic energy would also be different.

I hope this helps answer your question. Keep up the good work in your studies of physics!

1. What is kinetic energy of a rotating hoop?

Kinetic energy of a rotating hoop is the energy possessed by a rotating hoop due to its motion. It is a form of energy that is associated with the motion of an object.

2. How is the kinetic energy of a rotating hoop calculated?

The kinetic energy of a rotating hoop can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity of the hoop.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a rotating hoop?

The kinetic energy of a rotating hoop is affected by the mass and radius of the hoop, as well as the angular velocity at which it is rotating. The moment of inertia also plays a role in determining the kinetic energy.

4. How is the kinetic energy of a rotating hoop different from that of a non-rotating hoop?

The kinetic energy of a rotating hoop is higher than that of a non-rotating hoop due to the additional energy associated with its rotational motion. This is because the hoop has both translational and rotational kinetic energy.

5. What are some real-world applications of the kinetic energy of a rotating hoop?

The kinetic energy of a rotating hoop has many practical applications, such as in the design of roller coasters, gyroscopes, and flywheels. It is also important in understanding the motion and energy of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars.