1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hoop rolling in a pipe

1. Sep 25, 2013 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hoop of mass ##m## and radius ##a## rolls without slipping inside a pipe of radius ##R## (the motion is 2D). Write down the kinetic and potential energy. Hence find the frequency of small oscillations about equilibrium.

2. Relevant equations
    Moment of inertia of a hoop: I=Mr2
    Rotational kinetic energy

3. The attempt at a solution
    I envisaged the problem as a hoop rolling backwards and forwards in a pipe shaped like an arc of radius R.
    Kinetic energy is sum of rotational and kinetic, so $$T = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2} (ma^2) \left(\frac{v^2}{a^2}\right) = mv^2.$$

The path of the C.O.M of the hoop is arc shaped. Let ##\theta## be the angle between a vertical passing through the centre of the hoop and the C.O.M. Draw a horizontal at the base of the pipe. After a little time, the C.O.M is at angle ##\theta##. For small oscillations the increase in height of the C.O.M from its initial position (at a height a above the base of the pipe) is a + a(1-cosθ). So V = mg(a+a(1-cosθ)).

Is this correct? I am wondering if this can be solved more easily using the centre of momentum frame.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2013 #2
    V doesn't look correct. The CM of hoop is at a constant distance (R-a) from the centre of pipe. When you displace the hoop by angle ##\theta##, what is the distance of CM from the base?

4. Sep 25, 2013 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

Hi Pranav-Arora,
    I believe that would be a + (R-a)(1-cosθ)

5. Sep 25, 2013 #4
    Yes, looks right to me.

6. Sep 25, 2013 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

Ok, so ##E = mv^2 + mg(a+(R-a)(1-\cos \theta))##. I think to find the freq of small oscillations, I should find a form ##\ddot{\theta}+ \omega^2 \theta = g##, where g is not a function of θ. Differentiating E would give me $$\ddot{\theta} + \left(\frac{g(R-a) - ga}{2a^2}\right)\theta = 0, $$from which I can extract ##\omega## and hence f.

7. Sep 26, 2013 #6
    That doesn't look right.

Rewrite the potential energy as mg(R-(R-a)cosθ). Substitute in the energy equation and differentiate again.

What did you substitute for v?

8. Sep 26, 2013 #7

CAF123

Gold Member

Could you please explain why? The equation is certainly dimensionally consistent.

Because of no slip, I said ##v_{COM} = a \dot{\theta}##.

9. Sep 26, 2013 #8
    No, the hoop does not rotate about CM here, it rotates about the centre of pipe so ##v=(R-a)\dot{\theta}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted