Hoop stress of a rotating hollow hemisphere

In summary: However, the equations for rotating disks and cylinders cannot be directly applied to a rotating hemisphere, making it difficult to determine the stresses. The poster is seeking help from others to find equations governing the rotation of a sphere and to confirm the accuracy of their approach.
andelony

Homework Statement

Hi all! I am an undergraduate who is currently doing a design on amusement ride. MY amusement ride would have a hollow hemisphere that is being rotated by a shaft. I need to determine the stresses acting on the hemisphere in order to know the material to use to build this structure. I do understand that all rotating bodies would encounter hoop and radial stresses. However, i only manage to find equations for rotating disk and cylinders. I cannot find any equaitons governing the rotation of a sphere, let alone the rotation of a hollow hemisphere. Therefore, I hope that i can get some help from you guys.

I did think of calculating the centrifugal force for the hemisphere, which is m*r*omega^2, and dividing this force by the area of the hemisphere, to which it is experiencing the hoop stress, ie (m*r*omega^2) / (pie*r1^2 - pie*r2^2), to get the hoop stress. r1 is the radius of the outer hemisphere, and r2 is the radius of the inner hemisphere. I would assume the radial stress to be negligible too. Is my approach correct? I would deeply appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me! Thanks alot.

[

Physics news on Phys.org
Moderator note: Please don't post multiple questions in the same thread. If you have a separate question, please start a new thread.]The Attempt at a Solution My approach is correct. The hoop stress acting on the hemisphere can be calculated by dividing the centrifugal force by the area of the hemisphere. The radial stress will be negligible due to the symmetry of the hemisphere.

1. What is hoop stress?

Hoop stress is a type of stress that occurs in a cylindrical or spherical object when it is subjected to internal or external pressure. It is perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the object and can cause it to expand or contract.

2. How is hoop stress calculated?

Hoop stress can be calculated using the formula σ = PD/2t, where σ is the hoop stress, P is the internal or external pressure, D is the diameter of the object, and t is the thickness of the object's wall.

3. What is the significance of hoop stress in a rotating hollow hemisphere?

In a rotating hollow hemisphere, hoop stress plays a crucial role in the structural integrity of the object. As the hemisphere rotates, the hoop stress changes, and if it exceeds the yield strength of the material, it can cause deformation or failure of the object.

4. How does the hoop stress change with increasing rotation speed?

As the rotation speed of a hollow hemisphere increases, the hoop stress also increases due to the centrifugal force acting on the object. This can lead to a higher risk of failure if the material's yield strength is exceeded.

5. How can hoop stress be reduced in a rotating hollow hemisphere?

To reduce hoop stress in a rotating hollow hemisphere, the thickness of the object's wall can be increased, or the rotation speed can be decreased. Using a material with a higher yield strength can also help reduce hoop stress. Additionally, using support structures to distribute the load can also help reduce hoop stress.