Chroot is Back: Are We Ready for the Return of Our Administrator?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, the eminent administrator chroot has returned after a period of absence, much to the joy and relief of the PF community. There was speculation that chroot might ban some members, but it seems he is just eager to rejoin the discussions. Some members, including Evo, have been offline but still managing to reply, leading to suspicions of tricks being involved. A new member also expressed surprise at chroot's absence, while another member joked about getting the name wrong.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Hooray, chroot is back!

Our eminent administrator, sorely missed, and whose absence has been bemoaned in a veritable torrent of PM's back and forth between PF'ers, has finally deigned to bless our virtual world with his benign, if sometimes snappy, presence.

Hail to the chroots of the world! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yay! :approve: :smile:

woo...
think he is going to ban us :uhh:

gurkhawarhorse said:
woo...
think he is going to ban us :uhh:
Yes, I'm certain he is chomping at the bit to ban someone. :tongue:

We've all missed chroot.

hey, Evo is offline according to my computer! how did she reply?
tricks? :confused:

gurkhawarhorse said:
Yes. Do not trust Evo, she is in on it to, and knows too much :uhh:

When and where did chroot leave?

gurkhawarhorse said:
new here, eh?

I was wondering where Warren has been!

Evo said:
We've all missed chroot.
:uhh: :redface: :blushing: I didn't even know he had gone somewhere. :frown:

you must have noticed that i went away for a while.

So is it chroot or kroot?

What is the purpose of "Welcome Back, chroot!"?

The purpose of "Welcome Back, chroot!" is to provide a secure way for users to access and modify a system's root directory without jeopardizing the stability and security of the entire system.

How does chroot work?

Chroot works by changing the root directory for a specific process or user. This allows the process or user to access and modify only the files and directories within the chroot environment, rather than the entire root directory of the system.

What are the benefits of using chroot?

Using chroot can provide improved security by limiting the access of a process or user to only a specific directory. It can also help prevent system crashes by preventing accidental modification of critical system files.

Are there any limitations to using chroot?

Yes, there are some limitations to using chroot. It does not provide complete isolation and may still allow access to some system resources. Additionally, if the chroot environment is not properly set up, it can still pose a security risk.

How can I properly set up a chroot environment?

To properly set up a chroot environment, you will need to create a separate directory with its own file system and copy the necessary files and libraries into it. You will also need to configure the chroot environment to restrict access to specific system resources. It is important to thoroughly test and secure the chroot environment before using it in a production setting.

Back