Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hope for humanity

1. Jan 27, 2013 #1
    ...fading
    Sometimes I almost feel there is still hope left and then I see something like this.

There is the occasional moment of "Hope restored", but those feel rarer and rarer. :)

Attached Files:

• Sad.png
      Sad.png
      File size:
      5.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2013 #2
    In my opinion no hope. Humans will get stupider and selfish and will not remain human anymore. Then will come anarchy and destruction.

4. Jan 27, 2013 #3
    Civilization's been somewhat unstable for thousands of years (most notably Rome's fall,) but it's still around. Why should it fall to pieces now?

5. Jan 27, 2013 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Don't be so negative! There are a million things that are far better now than they've ever been. Even the worst events of today mostly pale in comparison to ancient events. There is still plenty of things I would change, and people live in poverty and slavery in certain places, but overall I can't see anything but an overall improvement in the quality of human life over the last few thousand years.

That said, I do want to punch google in the face for this!

6. Jan 27, 2013 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Lol this is what makes you lose hope? If you're looking for it you can find many things orders of magnitude more hope depriving than that.

7. Jan 27, 2013 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Try searching for "wish you were here" on youtube. The first results are from avril lavigne :frown:

8. Jan 27, 2013 #7

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

avril lavigne > pink floyd

9. Jan 27, 2013 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OMG I clicked on the youtube avril lavgne link. It was kinda like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

10. Jan 27, 2013 #9

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

20th century produced plenty of folkslike this

yoou bet there's hope.

we become what we think about
    so don't let the 24 hour news get you down...

The grass is greenest right along the fence because that's where everybody goes to 'p*** and moan' .
    old jim

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Jan 27, 2013 #10
    My mother swears by astrology, but I don't hold it against her. She's a very smart woman and her beliefs don't say anything about the person she is. I will say, however, that while I was growing up it was frustrating not being allowed to buy something on certain days because "Mercury went direct" :tongue:

12. Jan 28, 2013 #11
    Oh, don't get me started on the music. :)
    Yuck.

Heh, but jim is correct. And I don't think I've watched ANY news in like 2 months or more. They kinda feel obsolete and gimmicky by now.

Though on the other hand, however pleasant, all the collective b*tching won't actually do anything to change things. :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook