Overcoming Bias in Language and Science

• Thread starter thinker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bias
In summary, Daniel is a nonnative English speaker, and he is having difficulty communicating with other people because of the language barrier.
thinker
I can't be subjected to the bias because English speak not good?
Can't is not high to be subjected to the bias because of the quantum physics level?
I think regardless is who we are equal.Regardless the level is high and low, regardless how English is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes what you say is correct. However, if most of us find it difficult to understand what you say, what can we do but ignore you?

Well,i'm a nonnative English speaker as well,and therefore make spelling mistakes on my own,but I undertstand very well your situation.Ignorance is not an option.

Daniel.

Well there are different degrees of understanding. I mean thinker can't even get sentence structure correct -- it's a difficult thing to do, to be able to speak two different languages (I can personally), but some basics have to be there. Having seen a lot of his posts, it's fairly obvious that Daniel isn't a native English speaker, but then it's not obvious by reading just one or two which goes to show that he understands the language well.

I don't mean we should ignore, but perhaps try to answer the questions raised, and ask for further clarification.

But when thinker is talking about theories that he/she has devised, and formulas that he/she has derived, in something that can remotely be called English, it is difficult to find the motivation to pursue the issue.

thinker said:
Can't is not high to be subjected to the bias because of the quantum physics level?
I think regardless is who we are equal.Regardless the level is high and low, regardless how English is.

Even though someone might nag about it, it certainly is not an issue of any kind, and at most it means that we need a couple of more rounds of iteration when discussing topics. Those who are better able need to be considerate.

thinker said:

Your ability to speak english is not indicative of your intelligence, sure. However that does make all people equal. You can't throw a rock without hitting a moron.

But you are right that your ability to speak english does not indicate your intelligence.

But if people don't understand you, there's not much they can do when it comes to talking with you. Langauge barrier when discussing physics can be a real problem.

what the f are you all talking about. I can't understand a word you are saying, therefore it must not be important.

to sum it up, he is talking about insensitive farts like you... ;-)

lol, guilty as charged.

klusener said:
to sum it up, he is talking about insensitive farts like you... ;-)

Hey tribdog is the most sensitive guy i know. Who else, after all the horrible burns, could still feel it when he gets stabbed with a mechanical pencil?

franznietzsche said:
Hey tribdog is the most sensitive guy i know. Who else, after all the horrible burns, could still feel it when he gets stabbed with a mechanical pencil?
thanks hun, you're pretty sensitive yourself :wink: if you know what I mean.

tribdog said:
thanks hun, you're pretty sensitive yourself :wink: if you know what I mean.

Actually its rather insensitive...only way i can explain how long it lasts. :wink:

thinker said:

Agree I. Bias speak good no English indicator bad the quality both the of intelligence level the and equality of ultimate are we.

franznietzsche said:
Your ability to speak english is not indicative of your intelligence, sure. However that does make all people equal. You can't throw a rock without hitting a moron.

But you are right that your ability to speak english does not indicate your intelligence.

But if people don't understand you, there's not much they can do when it comes to talking with you. Langauge barrier when discussing physics can be a real problem.

I know that language is a very big obstacle.I try as far as possible to communicate with you.Hope that you can enough I help.Thank you!

thinker said:
I know that language is a very big obstacle.I try as far as possible to communicate with you.Hope that you can enough I help.Thank you!

Out of curiousity, what is your first language?

motai said:
Agree I. Bias speak good no English indicator bad the quality both the of intelligence level the and equality of ultimate are we.

I got a headache from reading that.

franznietzsche said:
Out of curiousity, what is your first language?

Chinese.
I speaker English a little.I am sorry.I am sorry.

thinker said:
Chinese.

No apologies needed ... just keep it up :smile: !

thinker said:
Chinese.

Not sure what you're apologizing for.

I was just curious.

I met some Chinese individuals in College and they work hard. I really admire their dedication to work. They sit there and try to figure out half of the English words, and then review because they still don't clearly understand the English. I wish I had that motivation.

My first language is French, but no one can tell. I am pure English now, but I still know French of course. :D

Just out of curiousity: Masudr, are you studying physics, and if so at which college?

i respect everyone who can speak multiple languages. I only know the cuss words and how to say "Will you sleep with me?" in other languages.

tribdog said:
I only know the cuss words and how to say "Will you sleep with me?" in other languages.

Do you know "yes" and "no" in those languages too? It's not very useful to know how to ask if you don't know what the answer is. :tongue:

1. What is bias and why is it relevant in scientific research?

Bias refers to a tendency to favor one particular outcome or interpretation over others. It can be unintentional or intentional and can impact the validity and reliability of research results. It is important to recognize and address bias in scientific research to ensure accurate and unbiased findings.

2. How can bias be avoided in scientific research?

Bias can be avoided by carefully designing research studies, using appropriate and unbiased sampling methods, and implementing rigorous data collection and analysis techniques. It is also important for researchers to be aware of their own biases and to actively work to minimize their influence on the research process.

3. What are some common types of bias in scientific research?

Some common types of bias in scientific research include selection bias, confirmation bias, and publication bias. Selection bias occurs when the sample used in a study is not representative of the population being studied. Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for or interpret information in a way that confirms preexisting beliefs or hypotheses. Publication bias refers to the tendency for studies with positive results to be published more frequently than those with negative or inconclusive results.

4. Can bias be completely eliminated from scientific research?

While bias can never be completely eliminated, it can be minimized through careful study design, data collection and analysis methods, and transparency in reporting results. Peer review and replication of studies can also help identify and address potential bias in research.

5. How does bias impact the credibility of scientific research?

Bias can significantly impact the credibility of scientific research by introducing errors and inaccuracies into the results. It can also undermine the objectivity and impartiality of the research, making it difficult for others to trust the findings. Therefore, it is important for researchers to actively work towards minimizing bias in their studies to maintain the credibility of their work.