How Does the Binomial Theorem Explain the Middle Term of (a+b)^4?

• Thread starter morbello
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of expanding and simplifying the expression (a+b)^4. It is mentioned that this can be done by multiplying (a+b) four times, and that there is a formula known as the Binomial Theorem that can be used to simplify this process.
morbello
Could you tell me how this equation works and how to get to the answer.ive done it before and am still stuck on how 6a^2b^2 is in the middle

(a+b)^4

a^4 4a^3b

giving the 6A^2B^2 in the middle is it if you have a exponent out side the brackets it works down to ^2 as it would look like or is there an easyer way to say how to do this equation.

is there a formula to work it out.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
morbello said:
Could you tell me how this equation works and how to get to the answer.ive done it before and am still stuck on how 6a^2b^2 is in the middle

(a+b)^4

First, I should point out that there is no equals sign to be seen anywhere, so you haven't shown us an equation. What you show is an expression.

Are you wanting to express (a+b)4 without brackets?

If so, then it's straightforward. You need a large sheet of paper, a sharp pencil, and an eraser.

(a+b)4 can be written out as (a+b) (a+b) (a+b) (a+b)

You then work this out in stages, or however you like, e.g., you could do it as:

(a2 + 2ab + b2)(a2 + 2ab + b2)

Now, multiply this out, one term at a time, and eventually collect terms. There is a lot of writing to do, but each small step is easy. First, everything contained in the second brackets is multiplied by a2, then everything in the second brackets is multiplied by 2ab, and so forth.

morbello said:
a^4 4a^3b
Looks like some terms (and operation symbols) are missing.

morbello said:
is there a formula to work it out.
Yes. Look up the Binomial Theorem.

1. What does "Hope you can help." mean?

"Hope you can help." is a common phrase used to politely ask for assistance or advice. It is often used when someone is seeking help or guidance in a particular situation.

2. How do you respond to "Hope you can help."?

If you are able to help, you can respond by offering your assistance or providing any information or resources that may be helpful. If you are unable to help, it is polite to kindly let the person know.

3. Is it appropriate to use "Hope you can help." in a professional setting?

Yes, "Hope you can help." is a polite and professional way to ask for help or guidance in a professional setting. It shows that you value the other person's expertise and are seeking their assistance.

4. Why is it important to ask for help when needed?

Asking for help when needed is important because it allows us to learn from others and gain new perspectives. It also fosters collaboration and builds relationships. It is important to recognize when we need help and reach out for assistance instead of struggling on our own.

5. Are there any alternatives to saying "Hope you can help."?

Yes, there are many alternatives to saying "Hope you can help." such as "Could you please assist me?", "I could use your expertise on this.", or "Can you provide any guidance?". It is important to use polite and respectful language when asking for help.