Engineering Jobs in Japan: Moving Up the Ladder and Pay Comparisons

• Thread starter Student_new
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, the new person is considering studying both mechanical and electrical engineering and wants to work in Japan after graduation. They are unsure about the job market and pay for engineering in Japan and are seeking advice from others who have experience in this area. Some suggest focusing on one major to become a better engineer, while others mention the options for modules in the final year of study. It is noted that working as an engineer in Japan may be intense and may involve a 6-day work week.
Student_new
So I'll be going to school soon to double in mechanical and electrical engineering.

My question is this: I would like to live in Japan and work as an engineer however I don't know much about the state of business in relation to engineering jobs. Is the pay as competitive as it is in the US, are jobs readily available, and do they allow for moving up the ladder?

I would greatly appreciate any shared experience on the subject.

-new guy

Engineering news on Phys.org
1- why the double major?
2- why Japan?

yeah, why the double major? i do mechanical engineering, and have needed to implement electronics a few times, but it's simple enough to learn as you need it, unless you want to be designing very complex stuff. Major in one of them, and you will a better engineer, as you will have a very indepth knowledge of everything that includes mechanics, rather than some general knowledge in two fields. just my thoughts...

I'm currently on a Mech eng course, final year. I have loads of options regarding electronics / control / software engineering as modules. As Walker has said, why not just focus on the one, this way making yourself more fluent in the Mechanical / Electrical aspect rather than being "Ok" at two different topics.

Read up on the yearly modules, to my knowledge your final year, you are given many options to choose from (in the UK we are anyway).

From what I've been told, Japan is a whole different world in general, so I can imagine becoming an Engineer over there would be fairly intense (also they work 6 day weeks incase you didn't know :P)

What are the top engineering jobs in Japan?

The top engineering jobs in Japan are software engineer, mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, civil engineer, and chemical engineer.

What are the qualifications for engineering jobs in Japan?

Qualifications may vary depending on the specific job and company, but generally a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field is required. Fluency in Japanese and experience working in Japan are also highly desirable.

How does the salary for engineering jobs in Japan compare to other countries?

The salary for engineering jobs in Japan is generally higher than in other Asian countries, but can be lower compared to countries like the United States or Canada. However, the cost of living in Japan should also be taken into account.

How can I move up the ladder in my engineering career in Japan?

To move up the ladder in your engineering career in Japan, it is important to continuously develop your skills and knowledge, network with professionals in your field, and demonstrate your value to your employer through hard work and dedication.

What are some challenges I may face as a foreigner in the engineering industry in Japan?

Some challenges you may face as a foreigner in the engineering industry in Japan include language barriers, cultural differences, and adjusting to the work culture. It is important to be open-minded, adaptable, and willing to learn in order to succeed in the Japanese engineering industry.