1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hopefully a simple question

1. Feb 25, 2015 #1
    I have a very simply Physics question. When talking about the change in Potential Energy it is the Final value minus the initial value correct? That's the way we were taught the Work Energy Thereom but some of the online homework now seems to be subtracting the Final value from the Initial. Am I wrong in my original thinking? It has been awhile since the first part of Physics for me. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's the way I learned it.

4. Feb 25, 2015 #3
    That would be the same then for Kinetic Energy as well?

5. Feb 25, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

When changing the state of a system, "Final minus Initial." Conventions on signs of particular "state functions/variables" can be somewhat muddled, but the changes themselves are "Final minus initial."

6. Feb 25, 2015 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just make sure you have checked the used definition for the sign, such as implicitly assumed minus is translated mathematically to ## V = -|V| ##. Can't comment further unless you provide the online page you referred to.

7. Feb 25, 2015 #6
    I see what you are saying, I should have thought of that myself. I'll check to see if that's what it was.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook