Hopefully someone can help out

• Thread starter matajone
  • Start date
In summary: Ok, so I'm thinking maybe I'm supposed to add the tensions in the strings and then subtract the mass of the block. I'm not sure if that is what you were asking for. Thanks for your help!
matajone
I've been given the mass of 3 blocks connected by string. I know the force and the coefficient of friction and am asked to determine acceleration. The answer will be in a form something like this a=8ug. (Grrr...for not remembering how to change to scientific lettering.) Anyhow, my textbook hasn't been very helpful, and I simply can not remember how to get started on this. I know that I'm being stumped by the multiple, connected boxes. Any help you can throw my way would be appreciated.

Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'll have to explain the problem a little more completely and precisely for us to be able to help.

In any case, problems like these usually are just exercises in drawing free-body diagrams and applying Newton's second law.

- Warren

I'll just give you the question verbatim.

Consider a force pulling 3 blocks along a rough horizontal surface, where the masses are a mulitple of a given mass m, as shown in the figure below. The coefficient of the kinetic friction is u. The blocks are pulled by a force of 84umg.

_______ _______ _______
| |T1 | |T2 | |
| 2m |---| 5m |---| 7m |
_______ _______ _______

Determine the acceleration.

Since the blocks move as one (the string connecting them is assumed to be ideal), the question is equivalent to just finding the acceleration of a single block with a total mass of 14m. Draw a free-body diagram and use Newton's second law.

- Warren

Thank you. I took some time away from the problem, and that is what I decided to try. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't just making something up to make myself happy.

Matt

Ok, now I'm confused.

I got to the next question and it is asking for something I don't even remember hearing about during any of the lectures and I can't find in the book. Just a simple nudge in the right direction would be great.

"The equation of motion for the central mass 5m is given by."

Then I'm give 9 different options and I have to identify the correct one.

I think it is:

T2 + T1 + 5umg = 5ma

However, I have no idea why I think that. Just looking at it makes me think it is.

Matt

Once again, you need to more precisely describe your problem if you wish us to help you.

T1 and T2, assuming they are the tensions in the strings to the left and right, are in opposite directions. Thus, you probably should add one and subtract the other, not add them both. Obviously, when the tensions are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction, there is no net force, and thus no movement at all.

- Warren

1. What does it mean when someone says "Hopefully someone can help out"?

When someone says "Hopefully someone can help out", they are expressing a need for assistance or support with a particular task or problem.

2. How can I help someone who says "Hopefully someone can help out"?

If you want to help someone who says "Hopefully someone can help out", you can ask them what they need help with and offer your assistance or resources if you are able to.

3. Why do people say "Hopefully someone can help out" instead of directly asking for help?

Some people may feel more comfortable indirectly asking for help by saying "Hopefully someone can help out". They may not want to impose or may not know who specifically to ask for help.

4. Is it okay to say "Hopefully someone can help out" when I need help?

Yes, it is okay to say "Hopefully someone can help out" when you need help. It is a polite and non-demanding way to express your need for assistance.

5. How can I encourage someone who is hesitant to ask for help to say "Hopefully someone can help out"?

You can encourage someone who is hesitant to ask for help by creating a supportive and non-judgmental environment. Let them know that it is okay to ask for help and offer your assistance without pressuring them to accept it.