1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hoping to do Physics Research

1. Aug 20, 2013 #1
    I'm going into my Junior year of high school and as of now I am worrying about what I have to do to get into the university of my choice. Until recently I haven't heard of the USAMO of Physics Olympiad competitions that would make me stand out, and I am not sure if I will be able to do them. I am hoping to do some research in Physics to make me stand out, so colleges will see me as someone who takes initiative.

If I am going to try to do a research in Physics, do I have to work in a team, and what kind of mathematics should I know to do something of relatively simple level? Some ideas I have include things dealing with astronomy or maybe I can study relations of plants to heat levels or something like that, not exactly sure what I can do that is different from what Physics has already accomplished.

My coursera.org free Ohio State University Calculus One course starts on the 23rd of August, which I am taking to get ahead of my high school's curriculum for my own abilities, and the Calculus Two course starts about 5 weeks or so into that, so maybe I will have to wait for the next session of Calculus Two.

Can you tell me how long I should wait to do something like this? Also, though not really needed because I should use my own inquisition, it would be nice if you guys could suggest some topic areas to explore.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted