Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hopper jamming

1. Dec 13, 2013 #1
    I'm making an automatic fish feeder. It uses a very low torque, low RPM, low energy motor to turn a paddle wheel. The paddle wheel pushes the food off a ledge and into the tank.

I plan to make the paddle wheel using a gear. I also have access to a 3d printer to make the part.

The motor is definately something I am going to use since it runs for a month on just a AA and I have it and I am not willing to mess with electronics.

THE PROBLEM: Jamming. I am planning to make the paddles very flexible to reduce jamming. I don't want to add vibration motors.

What designs/tricks/tactics are used in the industry to prevent jamming? I imagine this is a common problem. I'm not married to the paddle wheel idea, just to the motor I am using.

Here's a picture of what I imagine miught happen.
    http://imgur.com/XlMzUTg

Much appreciation for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2013 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

You have an undershot drive wheel that pinches the material against the shelf. Consider an overshot wheel where the hopper material is placed on top of the wheel with a knife edge to cut the depth of material. The shelf is eliminated since the food will fall off the wheel into the tank.

4. Dec 14, 2013 #3
    Adding on to what Baluncore said: look into airlocks or rotary valves.

http://www.iac-intl.com/resource/airlock%20article%20for%20publish.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Dec 16, 2013 #4
    Thank you all for the valueable info. What do you think of this new design given the design suggestions?
    I did not understand what a knife edge is though in reference to wheels.

http://i42.tinypic.com/bgp5dc.jpg

6. Dec 16, 2013 #5
    DScheuf, don't feel insulted because I didn't name it after you. You get the next revision lol.

7. Dec 16, 2013 #6
    Don't worry; it's not like I'll be bitter or anything. haha.

I think the design looks good. I like how the vane will shear through the granular material.

What kind of flow rates are you looking at?

8. Dec 16, 2013 #7
    The motor is a clock movement. So 1 rotation every 12 hours. Or 1 rotation per hour depending on which "hand" i use.

9. Dec 16, 2013 #8
    The motor is very weak, I doubt the vane could actually shear through a pellet.

I didn't answer your question well. My fish usually eats 2 times per day, 5 pellets each time. So my design goal is to match that at a rate of 5 pellets every 12 hours.

I chose the hopper design because it has the potential to hold a weeks' worth of food. Also because I could make wheels with deeper teeth to feed more fish should I buy more.

10. Dec 16, 2013 #9
    Just a thought, but you could form the contact surface (between the vanes and the hopper) with a sort of foam material (that won't retain much moisture) or rubber skirt (think: the flipper/slapper thing on wheel of fortune) so that the binding force would be less. It's not catastrophic if your fish get 4 or 6 pellets rather than 5, so a little slip up here and there wouldn't kill you.

11. Dec 16, 2013 #10

Baluncore

Science Advisor

See attached. My knife edge solution.

Attached Files:

12. Dec 17, 2013 #11
    Baluncore, now I get it. I'm going to have a few designs printed up and see how they work. It will take me awhile to make each design in sketchup.

Travis_King, that's a good idea.

I'm going to post the results when I have something. Thanks for the help so far!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook