Solving the Horizon Problem: 1 Source or 105?

In summary: The causally disconnected patches are meant. Then it also calculates the number of these sources and it's ~10^5. But isn't that very dense mass right before the Big Bang considered to be just one source?No, because as you get further back in time towards the limit of the singularity, all points become causally separated. They never combine to form one source.
QuarkDecay
TL;DR Summary
Horizon problem in inflation and sources
It says that since there is homogeneity in the Universe's temperature, all these points must have come from one source (or a source close to each other?) at a certain time.
Then it also calculates the number of these sources and it's ~105. But isn't that very dense mass right before the Big Bang considered to be just one source?
So is the Horizon problem the fact that we get 105 different sources, while we should take only one? Or am I getting something wrong here?

Space news on Phys.org
QuarkDecay said:
it also calculates the number of these sources and it's ~10^5
Source?
This is just a shot in the dark, but I found this reference to "10^5" associated with Inflation and the CMBR:

...the CMB is uniform (and therefore in thermal equilibrium) over the entire sky to one part in 10^5...

That's not what you're referring to is it?

Last edited:
QuarkDecay said:
It says

What says? What are you referring to? You have provided no reference.

My notes from class say it. I didn't provide a source because this was the solution without the inflation correction, and also for the fact that this is not my main question.

QuarkDecay said:
My notes from class say it.

We can't see your notes from class. So we don't know where all this about ##10^5## sources and so on is coming from. Please either give a reference to an actual source, like a textbook or peer-reviewed paper, or show us how this "number of sources" is calculated by posting the calculation directly in this thread.

QuarkDecay said:
this is not my main question.

We can't answer any of the questions you're asking without more information. See above.

I think that the idea might be to calculate, assuming no inflation, the present angular size of a causally-connected region of the CMB, and then to calculate the number of these patches over the entire (##4 \pi## solid angle) sky. In some sense, each of these patches should be treated as an independent source, since they can't (without inflation) communicate with each other.

I shouldn't be the one tracking sources (pun intended; groan), bu see equation (8.19) in

https://arxiv.org/abs/1803.00070
which is a draft version of a now published text.

QuarkDecay said:
My notes from class say it. I didn't provide a source because this was the solution without the inflation correction, and also for the fact that this is not my main question.
You might want to check with your professor to correct your notes.

QuarkDecay said:
So is the Horizon problem the fact that we get 10^5 different sources, while we should take only one? Or am I getting something wrong here?
It certainly seems that way.

QuarkDecay said:
Then it also calculates the number of these sources and it's ~10^5. But isn't that very dense mass right before the Big Bang considered to be just one source?
No, because as you get further back in time towards the limit of the singularity, all points become causally separated. They never combine to form one source.

QuarkDecay said:
So is the Horizon problem the fact that we get 105 different sources, while we should take only one?
The temperature deviations in the CMB are so tiny that one should assume that the area which corresponds to our observable universe at the big bang was in thermal equilibrium. But this isn't possible because it turns out that only a very small patch of the CMB (roughly as small as the full moon) could have been in thermal equilibrium at the big bang recombination. It is this discrepancy which we call Horizon Problem.

Last edited:
timmdeeg said:
But this isn't possible because it turns out that only a very small patch of the CMB (roughly as small as the full moon) could have been in thermal equilibrium at the big bang.
Not at the big bang, but at recombination.

Bandersnatch said:
Not at the big bang, but at recombination.
Yes sure, thanks for correcting.

EDIT Now fixed.

Last edited:
timmdeeg said:
The temperature deviations in the CMB are so tiny that one should assume that the area which corresponds to our observable universe at the big bang was in thermal equilibrium. But this isn't possible because it turns out that only a very small patch of the CMB (roughly as small as the full moon) could have been in thermal equilibrium at the big bang. It is this discrepancy which we call Horizon Problem.
This is what I was looking for. Not sure if I worded "sources" quite right. But it came from calculating the V0(trec)/VH(trec)~1.4x10^5

QuarkDecay said:
This is what I was looking for. Not sure if I worded "sources" quite right. But it came from calculating the V0(trec)/VH(trec)~1.4x10^5
I've never heard about "sources" in this context but assume that the causally disconnected patches are meant.

What is the Horizon Problem?

The Horizon Problem is a cosmological puzzle that refers to the fact that the temperature of the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation is nearly uniform throughout the observable universe, despite the fact that different regions of the universe have not had enough time to come into thermal equilibrium with each other.

How does the Horizon Problem relate to the Big Bang Theory?

The Horizon Problem is a challenge to the Big Bang Theory because it suggests that the universe is not as homogeneous as the theory predicts. The theory states that the universe was initially in a hot, dense state and has been expanding and cooling since then. However, the fact that the CMB radiation is nearly uniform suggests that regions of the universe that are far apart were once in contact with each other, which is not predicted by the theory.

What is the proposed solution to the Horizon Problem?

The proposed solution to the Horizon Problem is the theory of cosmic inflation. This theory suggests that the universe underwent a rapid period of expansion in the first fraction of a second after the Big Bang. This expansion would have smoothed out any temperature variations, explaining the uniformity of the CMB radiation.

Is there evidence to support the theory of cosmic inflation?

Yes, there is evidence to support the theory of cosmic inflation. The most significant evidence comes from observations of the CMB radiation, which show that it is extremely uniform and has small temperature variations. This is consistent with the predictions of cosmic inflation. Additionally, other observations such as the large-scale structure of the universe and the distribution of galaxies also support the theory.

Are there any alternative explanations for the Horizon Problem?

Yes, there are alternative explanations for the Horizon Problem, such as the theory of cosmic strings or the idea of a cyclic universe. However, these theories have not been as widely accepted as cosmic inflation and do not have as much evidence to support them. More research and observations are needed to fully understand the Horizon Problem and its potential solutions.