1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horizontal Asymptotes

1. Jan 7, 2004 #1
    How do i find horizontal asymptotes?

Is there a derivative test for that?

for example how do i find the asymptotes for y=2xe^-x^5 i know that there has to be a horizontal one, are there any others?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You CAN use derivatives if you really want to: Find the derivative and see where it is approaching 0.

But you don't need to do that. Since a horizontal line extends to infinity, the only way a graph can have a horizontal asymptote is if the function approaches that value as x goes to + or - infinity.

In the particular case y=2xe-x^5, as x gets large, x^5 is much larger so you have e to a huge negative power. Even with x multiplying that, it will go to 0. y= 0 is a horizontal asympote. On the other hand if x goes to - infinity, for x a huge negative number, x^5 is a much larger negative number so -x^5 is a huge positive number. e-5^x is huge and -xe-x^5 is a huge negative number. here is no horizontal asymptote as x goes to negaitve infinity.

y= 0 is the only horizontal asymptote.

If you differentiate y, you get y'= 2e-x^5- 10x^5 sup[-x^5[/sup]. Since an exponential dominates any power of x, that will be close to 0 for large positive x, just as I said before.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?