1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horizontal asymtotes

1. Apr 24, 2010 #1
    When the power of the leading coefficient of the numerator of a rational function is a lot greater than the power of the leading coefficient of the denominator , ie

[tex]f(x)=\frac{x^3+1}{x-1}[/tex]

The horizontal asymtote is y=x^2 according to the book . Is that true ? Is there any proof for this . I only know when its one power difference , that would be oblique asymtote .

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2
    I think that is right , look at the highest power on top and the highest power on the bottom and divide them .

4. Apr 24, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I really doubt that your text book says horizontal asymptote. A horizontal asymptote is a straight horizontal line and only occurs in a rational function when the numerator and denominator have the same degree. A "slant" or "skew" asymptote, a non-horizontal line, occurs when the numerator has degree one higher than the denominator.

I've never seen a curve called an "asymptote" before but since
    [tex]\frac{x^3}{x- 1}= x^2+ x+ 1+ \frac{2}{x-1}[/tex]
    so for large x, the graph comes close to [itex]x^2+ x+ 1[/itex] which itself will be close to [itex]x^2[/itex]. (Though I would say the "asymptote" was [itex]x^2+ x+ 1[/itex], not just [itex]x^2[/itex].)

5. Apr 24, 2010 #4
    thank you . It's not horizontal asymtote , i just didn't know what to call it , is there a name for that kind of asymtote ?

Is it necessary to include this asymtote in my sketching ? Usually , i would just include the vertical asymtote in my sketching if there is no horizontal asym.

6. Apr 24, 2010 #5
    I think you might be able to call it a slant asymptote.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook