Effects of Rolling Resistance on Tension and Acceleration in an Atwood Machine

In summary, the tension in the string was less than, greater than or equal to, or equal to the magnitude of the gravitation force acting on the hanging mass. The acceleration of the hanging mass was less than, greater than, or equal to the standard gravitational acceleration.
a78
We had a lab using an Atwood Machine with block A being on the surface and block B as the hanging object with different masses each round. Rolling resistance was present. Question 1 asked whether or not the tension in the string was less than, greater than or equal to the magnitude of the gravitation force acting on the hanging mass (as the objects are accelerating). Question 2 asked, while the carts were accelerating, was the acceleration of the hanging mass less than, greater than or equal to the standard gravitational acceleration. After applying Newtons law, I calculated that for both q1 and q2 the values were less than.

Q3 asks how would your answers to the first two questions change if the rolling resistance of the cart could be reduced to zero? Explain why this must be. I calculated this by doing Fnet(y)=-ma(y) and my answers were slightly smaller but insignificant. I am not sure why this is.

Physics news on Phys.org
a78 said:
We had a lab using an Atwood Machine with block A being on the surface and block B as the hanging object with different masses each round. Rolling resistance was present. Question 1 asked whether or not the tension in the string was less than, greater than or equal to the magnitude of the gravitation force acting on the hanging mass (as the objects are accelerating). Question 2 asked, while the carts were accelerating, was the acceleration of the hanging mass less than, greater than or equal to the standard gravitational acceleration. After applying Newtons law, I calculated that for both q1 and q2 the values were less than.

Q3 asks how would your answers to the first two questions change if the rolling resistance of the cart could be reduced to zero? Explain why this must be. I calculated this by doing Fnet(y)=-ma(y) and my answers were slightly smaller but insignificant. I am not sure why this is.
Welcome to the PF.

First, please use the Homework Help Template that you are provided when starting a new schoolwork thread here. I'll paste in a copy below.

Also, it's very hard to visualize the setups you are asking about. Can you post sketches or pictures of the situations? Also, can you draw Free Body Diagrams (FBDs) for all of the pieces involved? Thanks.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There was a track on the table and a cart was placed on it. There was a pulley attached to the cart and hanging at the edge of the table was a "hanging mass". On block A there was rolling resistance/friction between the block and the table as well as Fg and tension from the pulley/string. On block B there was Fg as well as tension from the rope. (This is my first time posting so I'm not sure how to ad in a drawing).

1. What is a Horizontal Atwood Machine?

A Horizontal Atwood Machine, also known as a Atwood's Machine, is a simple mechanical system used to demonstrate principles of acceleration and force. It consists of two masses connected by a string or rope that runs over a frictionless pulley.

2. How does a Horizontal Atwood Machine work?

The Horizontal Atwood Machine works by using the difference in weight between two masses to create a net force. The heavier mass pulls the lighter one towards it, causing the system to accelerate in the direction of the heavier mass. The acceleration can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion (F=ma).

3. What are the main components of a Horizontal Atwood Machine?

The main components of a Horizontal Atwood Machine include two masses, a string or rope, and a pulley. The masses are typically attached to the ends of the string, and the string is then looped over the pulley. The pulley must be frictionless in order for the system to work properly.

4. What are some real-world applications of a Horizontal Atwood Machine?

A Horizontal Atwood Machine is often used in physics demonstrations and experiments to study the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It can also be used in engineering to test the efficiency of pulley systems and to demonstrate the concept of mechanical advantage.

5. How can the acceleration of a Horizontal Atwood Machine be calculated?

The acceleration of a Horizontal Atwood Machine can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion (F=ma). The net force on the system is equal to the difference in weight between the two masses, and the acceleration is equal to this net force divided by the total mass of the system.