Horizontal force kinematics help

In summary, the figure shows a small object of mass 1kg sliding without friction on a wedge of mass 3kg inclined at an angle of 30 degrees. To prevent the small block from moving with respect to the wedge, a horizontal force of approximately 16.974 N must be applied. This can be found using the relationship F = ½g(m+M)sin(2@), where @ is the slope of the wedge. There is also a discussion about the feasibility of this solution and the concept of a free body diagram.
frozen7
The figure shows a small object of mass m = 1kg can slide without friction on a wedge of mass M = 3kg inclined at angle [tex]\delta[/tex]=30 degree . What horizontal force F must be applied to the wedge if the small block is not to move with respect to the wedge?

I do it in this way:

By Newton`s 3rd law: the small object will exert a same force F to the wedge, so

mgsin30 = Fcos30
F = 5.66N

But my answer is wrong. Can anyone teach me how to solve it?
Thanks.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    3.7 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
mg sin 30 = F
no Fcos30 coz you're applying this force in the same direction as the slant.

I've got an idea for the solution of this problem, but I'm not sure how feasible it is :frown:

The small mass is moving on a smooth surface, so there is no friction.
The accelerating force down the slope is mg.sin@ (where @ is the slope of the wedge). So the acceln of the mass down the slope is a=g.sin@.
The mass has a horizontal acceleration of a_h = a.cos@ = g.sin@.cos@ = ½g.sin(2@).

My idea: If the wedge is now moved forward with a horizontal acceleration of a_h, equal to that of the small mass, then this will provide vertical support for the small mass such that no vertical movement of it will happen and it will be motionless wrt the wedge.

Any comments on my idea ??

Assuming my idea is correct,

F = (m+M)a_h
F = (m+M).½g.sin(2@).
F = ½g.(m+M).sin(2@).
=================

F = 4.9*(1 + 3)*sin(60)
F = 16.974 N
==========

Last edited:
There are 4 choices answers for this question:
a)22.6
b)28.4
c)32.5
d)36.2

If it is not sliding m is also accelerating with the same acceleration.

Draw a free body diagram of object m resolve the forces in horizontal and vertical direction and you will get acceleration probably g tan(theta).

But, is this relation correct?

mgsin30 = Fcos30

Furthermore, can you explain to me about the free body diagram? I can't see why a = g tan(theta)

Thanks.

Free body diagram mens the diagram showing all forces acting on a single body. For m it is in the attaqchment.

Attachments

• incline.doc
    19 KB · Views: 184
As m is not in equlibrium N is not equal to mg cos@.

Mukundpa...Thanks a LOT...

You are always Welcome :smile: :smile:

1. What is horizontal force kinematics?

Horizontal force kinematics refers to the study of how objects move horizontally under the influence of forces. It involves analyzing the acceleration, velocity, and displacement of an object in a horizontal direction.

2. How is horizontal force kinematics related to Newton's laws of motion?

Horizontal force kinematics is directly related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first and second laws. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

3. What is the formula for calculating horizontal force kinematics?

The formula for calculating horizontal force kinematics is F = ma, where F is the net force acting on the object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object.

4. How is horizontal force kinematics used in real-world applications?

Horizontal force kinematics is used in various real-world applications, such as designing and analyzing the movement of vehicles, projectiles, and sports equipment. It is also important in understanding the motion of objects in industries such as manufacturing and transportation.

5. What are some common misconceptions about horizontal force kinematics?

One common misconception about horizontal force kinematics is that an object will always move in a straight line at a constant speed if no forces act on it. In reality, an object will only move with constant velocity if the net force acting on it is zero. Another misconception is that the mass of an object does not affect its acceleration. In fact, according to Newton's second law, an object with a larger mass will experience a smaller acceleration for the same amount of force.