What is the Purpose of a Semicolon in a Sentence?

In summary, the speakers discuss the usage of a horizontal line in a sentence, which is called an "em-dash." It is used to connect two ideas together and can also be used to separate clauses and descriptors in sentences. However, its usage can lead to confusion, especially in international forums. The speakers also mention the use of semicolons to connect related independent clauses, but it must be used correctly to avoid confusion.
samy4408
1648822018829.png

can someone tell me what is the meaning of the horizontal line in the sentence ?
thanks .

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just connecting the two ideas together. It's not a very well written sentence and is very awkward to read. If anything it reads like someone was transcribing what someone else was saying and the speaker messed up and had to correct themselves. "Light is something which enters the eye." Oh, I messed that up. Let me correct it real quick. "Which bounces off objects into the eye."

• Informative
Likes Klystron, Bystander, hmmm27 and 3 others
I used to use double dashes to separate clauses and descriptors in sentences but largely stopped using them to avoid confusion, particularly on international forums like PF. I also use fewer semicolons for the same reason.

I was taught to separate subordinate clauses from sentence body with a semicolon, or double dash, when the clause already contained items separated by commas, for clarity; to reduce, not increase, confusion. :cool:

Klystron said:
I used to use double dashes to separate clauses and descriptors in sentences but largely stopped using them to avoid confusion, particularly on international forums like PF; I also use fewer semicolons for the same reason.

I was taught to separate subordinate clauses from sentence body with a semicolon, or double dash, when the clause already contained items separated by commas, for clarity to reduce, not increase, confusion. :cool:

There, I fixed it for you. :wink:

(doesn't the "subordinate clause" after the semicolon need to be a stand-alone sentence in its own right? I guess I need to review that rule. Back in a bit...)

Likes Klystron
Likes berkeman

1. What is a horizontal line in a sentence?

A horizontal line in a sentence is a line that extends from left to right, indicating a pause or break between parts of a sentence. It is typically used to separate clauses or phrases within a sentence.

2. How is a horizontal line represented in writing?

In writing, a horizontal line can be represented by a long dash (—), an em dash (—), or an en dash (–). It can also be created by using the underscore symbol (_) repeatedly.

3. What is the purpose of using a horizontal line in a sentence?

The purpose of using a horizontal line in a sentence is to indicate a pause or break between parts of a sentence. It can also be used to create emphasis or to visually separate information within a sentence.

4. Can a horizontal line be used for punctuation?

Yes, a horizontal line can be used as a form of punctuation in certain cases. For example, it can be used to indicate a sudden change in thought or tone, or to show a list of items within a sentence.

5. Are there any rules for using a horizontal line in a sentence?

There are no strict rules for using a horizontal line in a sentence, but it is important to use it consistently and sparingly. It should also be used in a way that enhances the clarity and flow of the sentence, rather than causing confusion for the reader.