Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horizontal open channel flow -- Hydraulic jump calculation

1. Jan 27, 2016 #1
    Dear Fellow Engineers

I'm having an issues with my calculations. This case concerns a open channel flow that start off being supercritical on the left and turns into subcritical flow after a hydraulic jump.

Given:
    Volume flow rate Q = 0.16m^3/s
    Width of the channel b = 1m
    Resulting fluidheight at the left h1 = +/-6cm.

The channel slope = 0. The channel is perfectly horizontal
    Mannings coefficient : 0.012
    Hydraulic_jump_illustration_forum_vrf685.png
    Question : Distance from the left part untill the hydraulic jump occurs. L = ?

I integrated the backwater function:
    i = 0 because of slope being zero
    backwater_formula_sc7rdh.png

In the figure below the X axis denotes the distance from the left to the right of the channel. the Y-axis shows the height of the fluid height (purpl/pink curve). The blew curve is the conjugate height.
    hydraulic_jump_excel_n3nyw6.png
    I know that L can be determined from this curve but i don't know how. Can someone halp out please ?

Thank you,
    Jochem Grietens

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook