Proton Suspension Between Horizontal Parallel Plates: Charge & Voltage

In summary, a proton is suspended in a vacuum between two oppositely charged horizontal parallel plates with a separation of 2.60mm. The lower plate must have a positive charge to repel the proton, and the voltage across the plates can be calculated using V=mg/qd. The resulting voltage is 2.66x10^-10.
lizaliiu
1. A proton is suspended in a vacuum between two oppositely charged horizontal parallel plates. The separation between the plates is 2.60mm

2. I assume it uses E=vd/d, but I don't really know

3. what is the sign of the charge on the lower plate?
what is the voltage across the plate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does that mean?

Some hints how to start:
Can you identify the forces acting on the proton?
If the proton stays at rest between the plates, can you identify the direction of those forces?

lizaliiu said:
1. A proton is suspended in a vacuum between two oppositely charged horizontal parallel plates. The separation between the plates is 2.60mm

3. what is the sign of the charge on the lower plate?
what is the voltage across the plate?

Welcome to the PF.

You are required to show your work toward a solution before we can offer much tutorial help.

since gravity pulls the proton downward so the lower plate should be the positive charge to repel the proton.
F=mg=qE
E=mg/q=v/d, m=1.673x10^-27kg, g=9.8m/s2, q=1.602x10^-19 and d=2.60x10^-3m
so we just need to solve q to get the voltage across the plates?

You know q, I think you mean V? Right.

yes, I solved V= 2.66x10^-10...not positive sure it's correct tho

Gravity is weak, and you can check your calculations in WolframAlpha, for example. If the units match, it should be right.

1. What is the purpose of suspending protons between horizontal parallel plates?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the behavior of charged particles in an electric field. By suspending protons between parallel plates, we can observe how the electric field influences the motion and positioning of the charged particles.

2. How are the protons suspended between the plates?

The protons are usually suspended using a magnetic field. The magnetic field interacts with the charge of the proton, allowing it to be suspended between the parallel plates.

3. How is the charge of the protons determined in this experiment?

The charge of the protons is determined by the strength of the electric field and the distance between the parallel plates. By measuring the voltage and distance, the charge of the protons can be calculated using Coulomb's law.

4. What is the relationship between voltage and the position of the suspended protons?

As the voltage increases, the position of the suspended protons will also change. This is because the strength of the electric field increases with higher voltage, causing the protons to experience a greater force and move to a different position.

5. How does the arrangement of the parallel plates affect the suspension of the protons?

The distance between the parallel plates and the strength of the electric field are crucial factors in the suspension of protons. If the plates are too close together, the electric field may become too strong and cause the protons to collide with the plates. On the other hand, if the plates are too far apart, the electric field may not be strong enough to suspend the protons. Therefore, the arrangement of the parallel plates must be carefully considered for successful suspension of the protons.