Horizontal Pistons: Outside IC Engines?

• Thread starter Jones1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Horizontal
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of mechanisms to move objects in different directions, such as a pump. The example of steam locomotives is mentioned as a successful use of these mechanisms. The conversation also touches on the fact that asking questions is a sign of intelligence and the importance of being specific in communication.
Jones1987
Can these work outside of an IC engine? The mechanism to move something left and right (Forward and back)

Engineering news on Phys.org
You mean like a pump? Of course.

Steam locomotives made excellent use of them.
[PLAIN]http://cdn.explainthatstuff.com/steam-engine-cylinder-piston.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel so retarded lol, thanks for the example. It's been one of those days haha

Jones1987 said:
I feel so retarded
Don't ever think that way. :grumpy:
The fact that you are asking questions proves that you're not "delayed"; the fact that you happened upon the best science site on the net is good fortune on your part.
I, in fact, didn't think of your question as cut-and-dried because I didn't know exactly what you were asking. Apparently, Average (:tongue: Gotcha again, pal) interpreted it properly. My first question would have been about the specifics of what you meant by "outside of an IC engine". A piston cannot work outside of a cylinder. That's the way that I first interpreted your post, because I take things literally. If you had said "aside from in an IC engine" then it would have been easier.

1. What is a horizontal piston?

A horizontal piston is a component of an outside internal combustion (IC) engine that moves up and down within a cylinder. It is typically connected to a crankshaft and is responsible for converting the pressure from the burning fuel and air mixture into rotational motion.

2. How does a horizontal piston engine work?

In a horizontal piston engine, the piston moves horizontally inside a cylinder. Fuel and air are mixed and compressed in the cylinder, and then ignited by a spark plug. The resulting explosion pushes the piston outward, which turns the crankshaft and creates rotational motion to power the engine.

3. What are the advantages of a horizontal piston engine?

Horizontal piston engines have a smaller footprint compared to traditional vertical piston engines, making them more compact and easier to install in vehicles. They also have a lower center of gravity, providing better stability and handling. Additionally, horizontal piston engines are more efficient, have lower emissions, and require less maintenance.

4. What are the disadvantages of a horizontal piston engine?

One of the main drawbacks of horizontal piston engines is their limited power output. They are generally not as powerful as vertical piston engines, which limits their use in larger vehicles or heavy machinery. They also tend to be more expensive and complex to manufacture.

5. What are some common applications of horizontal piston engines?

Horizontal piston engines are commonly used in small vehicles such as motorcycles, mopeds, and small cars. They are also used in generators, pumps, and other small machinery. In recent years, there has been a growing interest in using horizontal piston engines in hybrid and electric vehicles as range extenders or as a primary power source.