Horizontal Projectile Motion Question

In summary, the ball was thrown horizontally from the top of a building 22.8 m. high and struck the ground at a point 52.1 m. from the base. The ball had an initial velocity of vx=0. The time the ball was in motion was 2.16 s.
jbutl3r25
Horizontal Projectile Motion Question...please help!

1. A ball is thrown horizontally from the top of a building 22.8 m. high. The ball strikes the ground at a point 52.1 m. from the base of the building.
a. Find the time the ball is in motion.
b. Find the initial velocity of the ball.
c. Find the x component of its velocity just before it strikes the ground.
d. Find the y component of its velocity just before it strikes the ground.

2. vx =
dx=52.1
t

vfY
voY = 0
aY = -9.8 (gravity)
dY= -22.8
t

3. I found the time to be 2.16 s., but the rest is tricking me up. The answer to b can't be zero can it? I don't understand that part, and I'm just at a loss for how to find the x and y components. So please...can anybody give me some help here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You found the time from the vertical free fall?
There are no horizontal forces acting on the ball so the horizontal velocity must be constant. You know how far it went and how long it took so you have horizontal velocity.

You can find the vertical velocity from v^2 + u^2 + 2as, you know the initial vertical velocity is zero because it was thrown horizontally.

I found the time from d=vo(t) + 1/2 at^2
And never mind about the horizontal, because i found that with dx=vx(t)
The part that's still tricking me up is the vertival...I've never seen v^2 + u^2 + 2as before so idk how else i would find it

Alternatively the vertical speed is v = u + a t, or simply v = gt if it is just dropped, this is obvious from the definition of accelaration.
the v^2 = u^2 + 2 a s, is from substiting the t from "s = ut + 1/2at^2" in "v = u + at"

ohhhhh i think I am getting that now...but then how would you find the initial velocity? it sounds like the easiest part but i still don't know how to fund it.

1. What is horizontal projectile motion?

Horizontal projectile motion is the motion of an object that is moving horizontally and subject to the force of gravity. This type of motion is often seen in sports such as baseball, where the ball is thrown horizontally and then falls to the ground due to the force of gravity.

2. How is horizontal projectile motion different from vertical projectile motion?

Horizontal projectile motion and vertical projectile motion are different because in horizontal projectile motion, the object only experiences a force in the horizontal direction, while in vertical projectile motion, the object experiences both horizontal and vertical forces. Additionally, in horizontal projectile motion, the object's velocity in the vertical direction remains constant, while in vertical projectile motion, the velocity in the vertical direction changes due to the force of gravity.

3. What is the formula for calculating the range of a horizontal projectile?

The formula for calculating the range of a horizontal projectile is R = (V^2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can the launch angle affect the range of a horizontal projectile?

Yes, the launch angle can greatly affect the range of a horizontal projectile. The optimal launch angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, while a launch angle of 0 degrees (horizontal) or 90 degrees (vertical) will result in no range.

5. What is the importance of horizontal projectile motion in real life?

Horizontal projectile motion has many practical applications in daily life. It is used in sports, such as throwing a ball or shooting a projectile in archery. It is also used in engineering and physics to calculate the trajectory of objects, such as projectiles launched from a cannon.