How to Calculate Projectile Motion Using Horizontal and Vertical Equations?

In summary, the Zero Launch Angle Lab involved using a spring-loaded gun to shoot a ball, with three trials resulting in times of 1.78, 1.34, and 1.39 seconds and a distance traveled of 2.98 meters. The height of the launch was 1.04 meters. To complete the lab, the percent error on time, theoretical horizontal average, and initial velocity had to be calculated. The equations y=(-1/2)g(t^2) and x = v0*t were recommended for finding these values. Online physics calculators were also suggested as a helpful resource.
physicswowoye
Zero Launch Angle Lab

We used a spring loaded gun and shot a ball out of it.

Here's the data:

three trials:
1.78 seconds
1.34 seconds
1.39 seconds

the distance traveled was the same for each trial:
2.98 meters

the height is 1.04 m

FIND:
1. percent error on time.

2. theoretical horizontal avg

3. initial velocity

I have no idea how to find what my teacher wants. In fact, no one in my class knows. I need help. Anything is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you need me to provide any more information, let me know. I'm probably going to pull an all-nighter trying to figure this out. I think I should use the equation y=(-1/2)g(t^2). Any suggestions, advice, or guidance APPRECIATED! thank you.

You need to calculate the motion in the horizontal and vertical directions. This is assuming you shot the projectile vertically from the height indicated.
x = v0*t
y = -(1/2)*g*t^2

So you would use the vertical equation to calculate time:
t = sqrt(2 * y / g)
t = sqrt(2 * 2.98 / 9.8)

Compare that value to the real time to get precent error on time.

Then use the horizontal equation to calculate the initial velocity:
v0 = x/t

Here's a link to some physics calculators that helped me out for solving it.
http://bluesolver.com/subjects/Kinematics/

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is horizontal projectile motion?

Horizontal projectile motion is the motion of an object along a horizontal path with a constant velocity and no acceleration in the vertical direction.

What is the formula for horizontal projectile motion?

The formula for horizontal projectile motion is x = x0 + v0xt, where x is the horizontal displacement, x0 is the initial horizontal position, v0x is the initial horizontal velocity, and t is the time.

What is the difference between horizontal and vertical projectile motion?

The main difference between horizontal and vertical projectile motion is the acceleration. In horizontal projectile motion, the acceleration is only due to the constant velocity in the horizontal direction. In vertical projectile motion, there is also the acceleration due to gravity acting in the vertical direction.

What is the significance of the angle of projection in horizontal projectile motion?

The angle of projection in horizontal projectile motion determines the initial vertical and horizontal velocities of the object, which in turn affects the trajectory of the object. A larger angle of projection will result in a higher initial vertical velocity and a longer horizontal displacement.

What are some examples of horizontal projectile motion?

Some examples of horizontal projectile motion include throwing a ball across a field, shooting a bullet from a gun, and launching a rocket into space.