What Formula Should I Use to Solve a Horizontal Projectile Problem?

In summary: So the bullet will not drop at all.In summary, to solve the problem of a hunter aiming directly at a small target 68 m away with a bullet leaving the gun at a speed of 186 m/s, the formula to use is d=vt for the horizontal component and y(t)=y_0+vt-1/2gt^2 for the vertical component. When plugging in values, make sure to use the correct initial velocity for each component separately. In this case, the initial velocity for the horizontal component is constant at 186 m/s, while the initial velocity for the vertical component is 0 since the target is on the same level as the gun. By using these formulas, the bullet is shown to not drop
xelda
A hunter aims directly at a small target (on the same level) 68 m away. If the bullet leaves the gun at a speed of 186 m/s, by how much will it miss the target?

I just need to know what formula I should use to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
First calculate the time it takes for the bullet to traverse the given distance.
Then calculate the amount by which the bullet dropped due to gravity.

I understand that's how to solve the problem, but I still don't think I'm doing this correctly. To calculate the time, I took 186 m/s divided by 68 m and got 2.735 s. Then I plugged the time into the equation y=yo+vyot-1/2gt^2. So it looked like 0+186m/s(2.735s)-1/2(9.8m/s^2)(2.735s)^2. I ended up with 472 but this number seems too large? Am I doing something wrong here?

Thank you for the quick response. I appreciate your help.

You seem to have confused a few things.
You have to treat the horizontal and vertical components independently.
First, since there is no horizontal acceleration, the horizontal velocity is constant.
To get the time traveled, use d=vt. (d=distance, v=velocity, t=time) (so t=d/v)

Then for the vertical component, you can use [itex]y(t)=y_0+vt-1/2gt^2[/itex], but
think about what v is in this equation. It's the initial component of the velocity in the y-direction.

Okay, I used 9.9 m/s^2 for v and my final answer came to 2.93 m. Does this seem more accurate? I guess I was way off. :x

What value did you find for t? And what is the initial v in the vertical direction?

For t I got .3656 s. I put 0 in for yo but should v also be 0 if it's the vertical component?

xelda said:
For t I got .3656 s. I put 0 in for yo but should v also be 0 if it's the vertical component?
If the target is on the same level as the gun, then isn't the initial velocity horizontal?

Oh, okay. Now it's starting to make more sense. Since the initial velocity is horizontal, then it would be 0.

What is a horizontal projectile?

A horizontal projectile is an object that is launched or thrown horizontally with a constant speed and travels through the air in a curved path due to the force of gravity.

What factors affect the motion of a horizontal projectile?

The motion of a horizontal projectile is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the force of gravity, and air resistance.

How is the range of a horizontal projectile calculated?

The range of a horizontal projectile is calculated by using the formula: R = (v^2 * sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Can a horizontal projectile have a negative range?

Yes, a horizontal projectile can have a negative range if it is launched at an angle above 90 degrees or if there is a strong headwind that slows it down.

What are some real-life applications of horizontal projectiles?

Horizontal projectiles are used in sports such as javelin throwing, discus throwing, and long jump. They are also used in military operations, fireworks displays, and transportation systems such as trains and roller coasters.