1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horizontal Projection

1. Sep 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    After a package is ejected from the plane, how long will it take for it to reach sea level from the time it is ejected? Assume that the package, like the plane, has an initial velocity of 220 mph in the horizontal direction.

If the package is to land right on the island, at what horizontal distance D from the plane to the island should the package be released?

2. Relevant equations

X=Vix *T + 0.5 *at^2 = X=Vix*T
    Vfx=Vix+a*t
    Vfx^2=Vix^2 + 2*a*x

y=vi*t+0.5a*t^2
    Vf=Vi+a*t
    vfy^2=Viy^2+2a*y
    3. The attempt at a solution

I ended solving for the first part that is looking fro time which was 12.8 sec. For the second part, i converted the 200 mph into 89.41 m/s. I then used the X=Vi *t equation. X=89.41 m/s * 12.78sec = 1142.67 m. But somehow it is the wrong answer. I do not know where else to go. Please help!! Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Your original problem says 220 mph not 200 mph.

Your altitude is not given.

4. Sep 19, 2008 #3
    oops my bad, the altitude is 800 meters and the new x in meters is 1256 meters. sorry about the mixup

5. Sep 19, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Plug in your new numbers. That's probably all it is.

Good Luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?