Calculating Toolbox Mass in Horizontal Pulley System

In summary, a group of construction workers are trying to lower a bundle of 1400 kg bricks to the ground by tying it to a toolbox and using a pulley. With a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.690 between the toolbox and the floor, and an acceleration of 4.56 m/s2 for the bricks, they are trying to find the mass of the toolbox (A). By applying the equations T-ukmBg=-mBaA and T-mAg=mAaA, and assuming uniform acceleration, the correct rearranged formula should be (mA = ((gukmB)-(amB))/(a+g)). However, it seems that the A and B values were reversed and the signs were not accounted
Haniah

Homework Statement

A group of construction workers are building a house and want to lower down an excess bundle of 1400 kg bricks to ground. They tie one end of a rope to the bundle of bricks, loop it through a pulley, and tie the other end of the rope to a toolbox. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the toolbox and the floor is 0.690 and the acceleration of the bundle of bricks is 4.56 m/s2, what is the mass of the toolbox?
where A=toolbox
and B=bricks

Homework Equations

T-ukmBg=-mBaA
T-mAg=mAaA
(mA-ukmB)g=-(mA+mB)aA

The Attempt at a Solution

mA = ((gukmB)-(amB))/(a+g)
I tried to solve by using this rearranged formula but did not get the right answer. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong or what I'm missing. I am also assuming that acceleration (4.56 m/s2) is uniform, is this a correct assumption.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haniah said:
T-ukmBg=-mBaA
T-mAg=mAaA
I think you have your A and B reversed. Also, check your signs. (Let "a" be the magnitude of the acceleration.)

Likes Haniah

1. What is a horizontal pulley system?

A horizontal pulley system is a mechanical device that consists of a fixed axle and a movable pulley that are both aligned horizontally. This system is used to change the direction of a force applied to an object, usually to lift or lower it.

2. How does a horizontal pulley system work?

In a horizontal pulley system, the fixed axle is attached to a support structure, while the movable pulley is attached to the object being moved. When a force is applied to one end of the rope or belt that runs around the pulleys, the object will move in the opposite direction of the applied force.

3. What are the advantages of using a horizontal pulley system?

A horizontal pulley system allows for the use of less force to move an object compared to lifting it directly. It also allows for the use of multiple pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage and make lifting heavier objects easier.

4. What are some common applications of a horizontal pulley system?

Horizontal pulley systems are commonly used in lifting heavy objects, such as in construction or manufacturing. They are also used in exercise equipment, such as weight machines, and in sailing to adjust the tension on sails and ropes.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a horizontal pulley system?

Yes, it is important to make sure that the pulleys are securely attached and that the ropes or belts are in good condition. It is also important to use proper lifting techniques and to not exceed the weight limit of the system. Regular maintenance and inspections should also be performed to ensure safe operation.