1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Horizontal tangent line

1. Sep 19, 2010 #1
    Find the x-coordinate of all points on the curve y = sin(2x) + 2 sin(x) at which the tangent line is horizontal. Consider the domain x = [0,2π).

f'(x)=2cos2x+2cosx

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2010 #2
    Whats the slope of a horizontal line?

4. Sep 19, 2010 #3
    the slope is zero

5. Sep 19, 2010 #4

MysticDude

Gold Member

The first thing that I would want to do is to factor out the 2.

2(cos(2x) + cos(x)) this makes things easier because now all we have to focus on is the cos(2x) + cos(x) part. Why? Because the 2 in the equation is not going to make the zero, it's what ever that was inside (the cos(2x) + cos(x) in out case).

So now we just have to find what values make cos(2x) + cos(x) = 0.
    The trick in this one was to find out, what x value multiplied in the first quadrant by 2 would make the (2x) part be in a quadrant with the opposite value.
    We do this so the cos(x) values cancel each other out. I had to do some trial and error here and found some values. They included π/3, π, and (5π)/3.

I hope you understand my logic!

[PLAIN]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3142/math2r.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Sep 19, 2010 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Nice diagram mystic :smile:

If you're trying to find where [tex]cos(2x)+cos(x)=0[/tex], you can use the formula [tex]cos(2x)=2cos^2(x)-1[/tex] and then you have a quadratic in cos(x) which you can solve.

7. Sep 19, 2010 #6

MysticDude

Gold Member

Thanks.

Also, I never thought of making it into a quadratic. Nice trick :P

8. Sep 19, 2010 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yep :tongue: I invented it, so don't believe anyone that tells you this trick has been known for centuries now.

9. Sep 19, 2010 #8

MysticDude

Gold Member

Well when you get into limits, integrals, and derivatives the trig identities leave your brain :P

10. Sep 19, 2010 #9
    Thank you so much everyone:) I really appreciate it:)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook