Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horizontal Tangent

1. May 31, 2014 #1
    If the tangent is horizontal, it is where the tangent is zero. In single var. calc. that would be at max. or min. for example. I am confused about what horizontal tangent refers to when I am given a parametric equation.

E.g. At what value of t does x=t^2 -t and y=t^2 +t have a horizontal tangent?

The answer is -1/2 which can be found by setting y'=0. I don't understand why this happens though. As in, why dy/dt rather than dy/dx or why does dx/dt not apply? In describing the curve, what is the relationship between the two (x and y given in parametric form) that I could just only look at dy/dt?

My first instinct was to look for dy/dx which would look something like (2t+1)/(2t-1).

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2014 #2
    The answer to your question is pretty simple.

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] =[itex]\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}[/itex].

So for [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] to be zero, the numerator i.e [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] must be zero. And hence the answer.

4. May 31, 2014 #3
    Thanks.

5. May 31, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

More accurately, if the tangent is horizontal, it is where the slope of the tangent line is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook