1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horrible Calculus - Help!

1. Oct 30, 2004 #1
    Hello everyone!

I have a calculus midterm next week and I need some help solving old midterm questions. I'm a first year calculus student so they're not hard, but I can't figure them out!

I am told to solve without using the tan addition formula.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2004 #2
    problem number 2

Attached Files:

4. Oct 30, 2004 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Since:
    [tex]tan(\frac{\pi}{6})=\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]
    the question merely asks you to calculate the derivative of tan(x) at [tex]x=\frac{\pi}{6}[/tex]

5. Oct 30, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

For your other questions, show some of your own work on these.

6. Oct 30, 2004 #5
    Sure, but how do I use the code thing? Or is there an easy way to type out the work I have?

7. Oct 30, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Click on a given "LATEX" code to see how you generate it. There's a sticky in General Physics which tells you a bit about it.

8. Oct 30, 2004 #7
    [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow0} \frac{1}{h}} (\frac{sin(h+(\pi/6))}{cos(h+(\pi/6))}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt3}})[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow0} \frac{1}{h}} (\frac{sin(x)cos(\pi/6) + cos(x)sin(\pi/6)}{cos(x)cos(\pi/6) + sin(x)sin(\pi/6)}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt3}})[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow0} \frac{1}{h}} (\frac{sin(x)(\sqrt3/2) + cos(x)(1/2)}{cos(x)(\sqrt3/2) + sin(x)(1/2)}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt3}})[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow0} \frac{1}{h}} ({\frac{\sqrt3sin(x) + cos(x)}{{\sqrt3cos(x) +sin(x)}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt3}}) [/tex]

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow0} \frac{1}{h}} (\frac{2sin(x)}{3cos(x) + \sqrt3sin(x)}) [/tex]

Wow, that latex is hard to code... I think I have it now though.

This is asfar as I can go with this problem, from here, I am confused.

9. Oct 30, 2004 #8
    you're making it way to diffcult, lim(h->0) 1/h * (tan(Pi/6 + h)-1/sqrt(3)) is also lim(h->0) 1/h * (tan(Pi/6 + h)-tan(Pi/6)), lim(h->0) 1/h * f(a+h)-f(a) is the differential of f in a, so you really just need to calculate tan's differential in Pi/6

10. Oct 30, 2004 #9
    Okay, that makes sense and therefore:

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow0^+} \frac{1}{h}} (\tan(h+(\pi/6))}- \frac{1}{\sqrt3}})[/tex]

equals

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow0^+} \frac{1}{h}} (\tan(h+(\pi/6))}- \tan(\frac{\pi}{6}}))[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}}\tan(x) = \sec^2(x)[/tex]

[tex]\sec^2(\frac{\pi}{6}}) = \frac{4}{3}} [/tex]

and

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow0^+} \frac{1}{h}} (\tan(h+(\pi/6))}- \frac{1}{\sqrt3}}) = \frac{4}{3}} [/tex]

Is this true?

11. Oct 31, 2004 #10
    yeah, that's what i meant

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?