1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horsehoe design for electromagnet.

1. Jul 29, 2009 #1
    Hey,

I'm working on an electromagnetic propulsion system (the one that is used in maglev trains) and I need a set of alternating north and south poles . It is kind of tedious to make each pole individually...so I have the following solutions for my problems..some of them may be wrong/ may not work so please help.

1) Alternating north and south poles
    A) Can I make a horseshoe type electromagnet by any chance? I need the poles like this.

[N] [N] ..... AND SO ON.

Can each [n] pair be a single electromagnet like a horseshoe?

2) I have to use dc right? I think the poles of an ac electromagnet keep changing based on the frequency of the ac used? Am I right.

3) Can I use a battery eliminator to supply dc from the mains?

4) I need to change the polarity of the electromagnet from time to time. Will reversing the current work. ( I am not using a soft iron core - can't find 'em)

[*] I've just finished school. I'm going to be a fresher in university in a month and electrical engineering is my subject. I am spending my holidays by doing simple projects, just in case you wanted to know. :smile:

thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted