1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Horsepower in a pump

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pump has to raise water from a depth of 50m and eject it at 10m/s. If the flow rate is 2 kg/s, what horsepower is needed.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

t = s/v = 5 seconds

m = t/flow rate = 2.5kg

E = mgh = 1250J

P = E/t = 250W

Horsepower = 0.34Hp

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Ejection speed is not necessarily the speed at which water travels up. Besides, time you have calculated doesn't matter - each second you have to move 2 kg of water 50 meters up.

Check your units - you will see it is wrong. Time divided by flow rate is not [STRIKE]seconds[/STRIKE] kg.

You need to do two things - transfer water up, and accelerate it to 10 m/s. Calculate energies involved.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  4. May 16, 2010 #3
    Is it not 10m? erm is the calculation Mass = flow rate/ time?

I'm still confused

5. May 16, 2010 #4

Borek

No, check units.

Don't think about formula, just how do you feel - if you transfer 2 kg per second, how much will you transfer in 5 seconds? How have you calculated it?

Flow rate means just that: each second you have to move 2 kg of water up and accelerate it to 10 m/s.

6. May 16, 2010 #5
    hmm it seems so simple but i'm struggling to grasp the concept. It takes 10Kg in 5 seconds then? Was any of my working correct?

7. May 16, 2010 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To be brutally honest, no. You have not followed Borek's advice. I'll repeat it, highlighting the key concept:
    How much energy is needed to lift one kilogram of water 50 meters?
    How much energy is needed to make that one kilogram of water move at 10 meters/second?

8. May 17, 2010 #7
    Ep = mgh for one kg lifted 50 meters?

Ek = 1/2 mv^2 for one kg at 10m/s?

9. May 17, 2010 #8

Borek

OK, how many kg per sec?

10. May 17, 2010 #9
    2 kg/s ?

11. May 17, 2010 #10

Borek

OK. How much energy is needed per sec then?

And if you think after seeing the answer I will ask any further questions, you are wrong. You are so close to the solution it is a shame you still need to be pushed.

12. Feb 6, 2011 #11
    Hi,
    I calculated the Potential energy(work done)= 2*9.81*50=981 Js-1
    Kinetic energy=mv^2/2= 2*100/2=100 Js^-1.
    But how do you calculate using thees, the horsepower...or at least in Joules cause then converting into horsepower is easy.
    Thanks.

13. Feb 6, 2011 #12

Borek

Show the units. How did you get J/s?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook