1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horseshoe Problem

1. Aug 3, 2004 #1
    Not really a homework problem, but I wasn't sure where to post this.

I'm looking at updating the horseshoe pits at work. Regulation courts suggest using concrete as a surround to the clay/sand pit. The question I have is: If I substitute concrete tiles with a sand substrate will it stand up to the impact force of a 42 oz horseshoe thrown from 40' away.

The assumptions I think I need to make include:
    Max Height of throw 12 ft
    Total time of throw 2.5 sec.

I think this should be a simple cannon ball type problem, but not sure how to proceed, having been out of physics for close to 15 years.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Sure, you can treat the horseshoe as a projectile and find out the speed on impact. But will that really answer your question? My advice is to think of a way to test your idea experimentally.

4. Aug 3, 2004 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are really two questions:

1. Can the concrete tiles handle the impact of the horseshoes.
    2. Can the concrete tiles be fixed in place so that they stay.

The answer to the second question is obviously yes. The answer to the first depends largely on the tiles that you're using. If you take, for example, cinderblocks, and bury the bottom few inches, they won't go anywhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?