Solving Heat Loss from Hose with Radii R_i and R_o

• Thread starter NotMrX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Hose
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power or heat loss per second in a situation where a person is watering their yard using a rubber hose cylinder. The hose has an inner radius of 1.5 cm and an outer radius of 1.7 cm, with a length of 5 meters. The hose is exposed to a temperature of 30 Celsius while the water has a temperature of 20 Celsius. The thermal conductivity of rubber is 0.2 in SI units. The calculation involves using the formula P=K*A*(dT/dr), where A=2L*pi*(r_o-r_i), and dA=L*pi*dr. The question asks to ignore heat loss from the end of the hose. The final answer
NotMrX
Hello,

This problem has been messing me up.

A person waters their yard. He has a rubber hose cylinder with an inner radius,[tex]R_i[\tex], of 1.5 cm and an outer radius, [tex]R_o[/tex], of 1.7 cm. The thermal conductivity of of rubber is 0.2 in SI units. The hose is 5 meters long, L. The hose is completely in the air with a temp of 30 Celsius while the water has a temp of 20 Celsius. Ignoring the heat loss from the end what is the power or heat loss per second.

Here is my attempt:
[tex]P=K*A\frac{\DeltaT}{r}[/tex]
[tex]dA=L*2*\pi*dr[/tex]
[tex]P=K\frac{\DeltaT}{r}L*2*\pi*dr[/tex]
[tex]P=k*2*\pi*\DeltaT*L*Ln\frac{R_o}{R_i}[/tex]

It seems like something is wrong though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the question; I coulnd't get latex to work this time.

A person waters their yard. He has a rubber hose cylinder with an inner radius of 1.5 cm and an outer radius of 1.7 cm. The thermal conductivity of of rubber is 0.2 in SI units. The hose is 5 meters long, L. The hose is completely in the air with a temp of 30 Celsius while the water has a temp of 20 Celsius. Ignoring the heat loss from the end what is the power or heat loss per second?

NotMrX said:
Here is the question; I coulnd't get latex to work this time.

A person waters their yard. He has a rubber hose cylinder with an inner radius of 1.5 cm and an outer radius of 1.7 cm. The thermal conductivity of of rubber is 0.2 in SI units. The hose is 5 meters long, L. The hose is completely in the air with a temp of 30 Celsius while the water has a temp of 20 Celsius. Ignoring the heat loss from the end of the hose what is the power or heat loss per second?
Here is my attempt:
[tex]P=kA\frac{dT}{dr}[\tex]
[tex]A=2L\pi(r_f-r_i)[\tex]
[tex]dA=L\pidr[/tex]
[tex]P=k*dA

While your having trouble with latex, what's your final answer?

What is heat loss from a hose and how is it calculated?

Heat loss from a hose refers to the amount of thermal energy that is lost through the walls of the hose. It can be calculated using the equation Q = (2πkLΔT)/ln(Ro/Ri), where Q is the heat loss, k is the thermal conductivity of the hose material, L is the length of the hose, ΔT is the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the hose, and Ro and Ri are the outer and inner radii of the hose, respectively.

What factors affect the heat loss from a hose?

Several factors can affect the heat loss from a hose, including the material and thickness of the hose, the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the hose, the length of the hose, and the radii of the hose. Additionally, external factors such as wind speed and ambient temperature can also impact the heat loss.

How can the heat loss from a hose be reduced?

To reduce heat loss from a hose, one can use a hose with a higher thermal conductivity, increase the thickness of the hose walls, minimize the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the hose, and use a shorter hose. Additionally, insulating the hose or using a heat wrap can also help to reduce heat loss.

What are the practical applications of calculating heat loss from a hose?

The calculation of heat loss from a hose is important in various industries, such as chemical processing, oil and gas, and automotive, where precise temperature control is crucial. It is also useful in designing and maintaining heating and cooling systems in buildings, as well as in understanding the energy efficiency of different hose materials.

Are there any limitations to the equation used to calculate heat loss from a hose?

Yes, the equation used to calculate heat loss from a hose assumes that the hose is perfectly cylindrical and that the heat loss is primarily due to conduction through the walls of the hose. It does not take into account other modes of heat transfer, such as radiation and convection, which may be significant in certain situations. Additionally, the equation assumes steady-state conditions and does not account for transient effects.