1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hose losing heat

1. Aug 24, 2006 #1
    Hello,

This problem has been messing me up.

A person waters their yard. He has a rubber hose cylinder with an inner radius,[tex]R_i[\tex], of 1.5 cm and an outer radius, [tex]R_o[/tex], of 1.7 cm. The thermal conductivity of of rubber is 0.2 in SI units. The hose is 5 meters long, L. The hose is completely in the air with a temp of 30 Celsius while the water has a temp of 20 Celsius. Ignoring the heat loss from the end what is the power or heat loss per second.

Here is my attempt:
    [tex]P=K*A\frac{\DeltaT}{r}[/tex]
    [tex]dA=L*2*\pi*dr[/tex]
    [tex]P=K\frac{\DeltaT}{r}L*2*\pi*dr[/tex]
    [tex]P=k*2*\pi*\DeltaT*L*Ln\frac{R_o}{R_i}[/tex]

It seems like something is wrong though.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2006 #2
    Here is the question; I coulnd't get latex to work this time.

A person waters their yard. He has a rubber hose cylinder with an inner radius of 1.5 cm and an outer radius of 1.7 cm. The thermal conductivity of of rubber is 0.2 in SI units. The hose is 5 meters long, L. The hose is completely in the air with a temp of 30 Celsius while the water has a temp of 20 Celsius. Ignoring the heat loss from the end what is the power or heat loss per second?

4. Aug 30, 2006 #3
    Here is my attempt:
    [tex]P=kA\frac{dT}{dr}[\tex]
    [tex]A=2L\pi(r_f-r_i)[\tex]
    [tex]dA=L\pidr[/tex]
    [tex]P=k*dA

5. Aug 30, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While your having trouble with latex, what's your final answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?