Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hostile non-smokers

1. Sep 5, 2009 #1
    It never ceases to amaze me. Mention tobacco and all the anti-tobacco gurus line up to crucify you. Just ask about the history of tobacco, and boom, here come the preachers. The interesting thing is that actual smokers appear to be far less hostile. Never saw any smokers go off an a tirade if someone asked about quitting. It makes me wonder why pople get so hostile about decisions of people they do not even know. Don't you all think there are better ways and better causes to unleash all that energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2009 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It *stinks*.

4. Sep 5, 2009 #3
    You live in California, right?

5. Sep 5, 2009 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I found an example of a hostile attitude toward non-smokers. See above.

6. Sep 5, 2009 #5
    lisab: a lot of things "stink". Do you have a drivers license? How sweet does exhaust gas smell?

Equate: I do not live in California

Chi Mason: No hostility intended... I personally do not care what people do in the privacy of their homes or cars if they do not break any laws or infringe on the rights of others.

7. Sep 5, 2009 #6

negitron

Science Advisor

You have an extremely bizarre personal definition of hostile.

8. Sep 5, 2009 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Of course. They just excuse themselves to have a smoke :biggrin: .

9. Sep 5, 2009 #8
    Nonsense.

10. Sep 5, 2009 #9
    I do not live in California

11. Sep 5, 2009 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. I am unhinged.

12. Sep 5, 2009 #11
    so sorry, currently short on monetary gifts

13. Sep 5, 2009 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bratticus, if this is the hottest conflict in your life...you have a really, really easy life.

14. Sep 5, 2009 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Really! This ranks right up there with whether the end of the toilet paper should hang over the roll, or behind it, nearer the wall.

Our ferrets resolved that about 25 years ago. If the end was against the wall, they would reach up and treat the paper like a "treadmill" and strip it off the roll in no time, making a nice soft pile of paper that they could play in. They always looked guilty when caught in the act, but that wouldn't stop them from doing it again when you weren't watching.

15. Sep 5, 2009 #14
    It is not a conflict, it is an observation. If you see a conflict in this, perhaps you need to redefine conflict.

16. Sep 5, 2009 #15

turbo

Gold Member

You posed the situation as a conflict in which all non-smokers are meddling jerks who want to give you a hard time.

This non-smoker spent many years playing blues in smoky bars, and at least I was well-paid for putting up with the smoke. It may come back to bite me eventually, but I never gave any smoker any crap for his or her habit.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  17. Sep 5, 2009 #16
    I truly hope you don't live in El Paso, TX, because it really sucks down here... :wink:

Anyway, I agree with your opinion in the OP.

18. Sep 5, 2009 #17
    No I do not live in Texas either Equate.

19. Sep 5, 2009 #18
    You must be from the blue planet... right?

20. Sep 5, 2009 #19
    rootX, 3rd dirtball from the sun

21. Sep 6, 2009 #20
    Second-hand smoke.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook