1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hot Air Balloon and Buoyancy

1. Feb 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a balloon with a volume of 500m3
    Outside air temp of 300K
    Mass to lift of 300kg
    Molar mass of air is 28 g/mol (I didn't end up using this)

I am to find the temperature inside the balloon to barely lift the given mass. I have apparently forgotten everything buoyancy related.

2. Relevant equations

Fb=ρgV

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay....I know that in order for the balloon to lift Fb > Fg (subscript b = buoyancy and subscript g is gravity force)

Using Fb=ρgV I tried taking the differences of the the two air densities and setting it equal to my mass I need to lift. As seen here.

airballon)Vg=mg

Since I need to find the temp required, I found this relationship.

ρ=P/RspecT where P=pressure, Rspec is a known value, and of course T=temp. Rspec = 287.058 J/kg*K for dry air

Pballon and Pair are equal.

Subbing that stuff in I get....

[itex]\left(\frac{P}{R_{spec}T_{air}}-\frac{P}{R_{spec}T_{balloon}}\right) Vg=m_{cargo}g[/itex]

I enter my values into the above equation...the units work out, but I am leaving them off for brevity.

[itex]\left(\frac{1.013e5}{(287.058)(300)}-\frac{1.013e5}{287.058T}\right)(500)(9.81)=(300)(9.81)[/itex]

After some rearraging etc I end up with T=612K.

Looking up hot air balloon temps I see my answer is waaay off.

What I am not understanding here that is causing my incorrect answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2013 #2
    Ok... but shouldn't it be different for dry air at 300K and air at a higher temperature? Consider that and try solving the problem once again. I don't see any other errors.

Could you give the answer as well?

4. Feb 14, 2013 #3
    Hmm...I'm not sure that it depends on temp.

Rspec=R/M where R is gas constant and M is molar mass.

With that said, I don't see how it can vary with temp.

5. Feb 14, 2013 #4
    Oh yeah... sorry! That said, I have no idea on how to help you. I really see no error in your working. You could go through your calculations once again! 600 K does seem to be too much to me as well.

6. Apr 5, 2013 #5

I have a very similar problem so I'd rather just bump this thread.

I don't understand the step above. It seems that there are two upward forces(one outside of the balloon) but from my intuition I can only count one(the one inside). So can someone clarify this step?

7. Apr 5, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your answer looks correct. It could be unreasonably high because the given conditions (volume, load) are unreasonable.

8. Apr 6, 2013 #7
    I think you have misunderstood my concern. This is not my thread but I have a very similar exercise which I solved using the formulas above(indeed correct), without understanding one of the steps. This one:

(ρair-ρballon)Vg=mg

Since ρVg=F_{b} I understand this as there are THREE acting forces, one inside the balloon and one outside the balloon(which is in the NEGATIVE y-direction) and mg. I find this strange since the balloon is not moving.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  9. Apr 6, 2013 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was responding to the OP. Didn't notice it was a bit old. That's a risk with piggy-backing on an existing thread.
    I can't follow your reasoning. Which density are you using in ρVg=Fb, and what exactly is Fb?
    There are forces all over the place, but you can group them into:
    - gravity on the balloon contents
    - net force from surrounding air
    - suspended load
    It's a statics question: what temperature will generate enough lift to balance the other forces. What do you find strange?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted