1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hot air balloon buoyancy homework

1. Dec 2, 2004 #1
    A hot air balloon plus cargo has a mass of 291 kg and a volume of 809 m3. The balloon is floating at a constant height of 6.25 m above the ground. The density of the outside air may be assumed to be 1.29 kg/m3. What is the density of the hot air in the balloon?
    can someone help me with this problem? i know that i need to use the buoyant force but i'm not sure how to relate the height with the density

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the height is mentioned only to indicate the balloon is not tethered to the ground and the fact that the height is a constant means the balloon is not accelerating.

4. Dec 2, 2004 #3
    oh ok. so how would you find the density? i tried 291/809 = 0.36kg/m^3 but that wasn't correct

5. Dec 2, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Equate the buoyant force to the weight of the balloon, cargo and the air (whose density you do not know) contained in that volume. The buoyant force is the weight of the displaced air and whose density you do know.

6. Dec 2, 2004 #5
    so Fb = 1atm + (d)(9.8N/kg)(809m^3) = (1.29kg/m^3)(9.8N/kg)(809m^3) is that right?

7. Dec 2, 2004 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The buoyant force is

[tex]F_b = 1.29 kg/m^3 \times 9.8 m/s^2 \times 809 m^3[/tex]

and the weight of the hot air is

[tex]W_{hot} = \rho_{hot} \times 9.8 m/s^2 \times 809 m^3[/tex]

8. Dec 2, 2004 #7
    so the [tex]F_b = W_{hot} + W_{balloon}[/tex] ?

[tex]W_{balloon} = (291kg)(9.8N/kg)[/tex]

[tex]\rho_{hot} = 0.93kg/m^3[/tex]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  9. Dec 2, 2004 #8

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Way to go, Mike!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?