Hot Air Balloon Free Fall Question

In summary, the sandbag released from a hot-air balloon with a velocity of 5.00m/s and a height of 40.0m above the ground will reach a position of 45.33m after 0.165s of free fall with an acceleration of 9.80m/s^2. The velocity at this time can be calculated using the formula v(t)=v(0)+at and taking into account the direction of acceleration.
COCoNuT
A hot-air balloonist, rising vertically with a constant velocity of magnitude v=5.00m/s , releases a sandbag at an instant when the balloon is a height h=40.0m above the ground . After it is released, the sandbag is in free fall.

1.) Compute the position of the sandbag at a time 0.165s after its release. Take the free fall acceleration to be g=9.80 m/s^2. answer ___ m.

how would i find that? i don't know where to start...

i tryed to find the highest time that it takes, 5.00/9.8 = 25/49

im just doing random things for hours, can someone point me to the correct way?

Physics news on Phys.org
For one dimensional motion with constant acceleration (a) the following formula gives you the position (x(t)) of the object as a function of time (t):

[tex]x(t)=x(0)+v(0)t+\frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex]

Where v(0) is the initial velocity of the object. Be careful with the signs of the paramters!

so...
x(t)= 40m + 5.00 + 1/2(9.80)(0.165)^2 = 45.33m <-- am i doing it correctly?

EaGlE said:
so...
x(t)= 40m + 5.00 + 1/2(9.80)(0.165)^2 = 45.33m <-- am i doing it correctly?

You forgot to multiply the initial velocity with time. And also, you chose your inital velocity positive meaning upwards, but the acceleration has another direction, downwards. So you have to use a=-9,8 m/s^2.

[The formula comes from Newtons second law F=ma, with F the gravitational force mg, so mg=ma -> g=a=v'=x'' where ' denotes a derivative with respect to time. When you integrate the constant g two times with respect to time (using the appropriate boundry conditions (initial position/velocity)) you get the position as a function of time, the formula I gave you.]

thanks, that worked. i have another question.

Compute the velocity of the sandbag at a time 0.165s after its release. Take the free fall acceleration to be g=9.80m/s^2 .

i just need to know the formula i should use.

i tried this formula: v(x) = sqrt(v(0)^2+2ax)) which doesn't work

velocity is the derivative of the poition to time:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}[ x(t)=x(0)+v(0)t+\frac{1}{2}at^2 ] [/tex]
[tex]v(t)=\frac{dx(t)}{dt} = v(0) + at [/tex]

Again, wach out with the signs...

What causes a hot air balloon to free fall?

A hot air balloon free fall is caused by a sudden drop in temperature inside the balloon's envelope, which decreases the air density and causes the balloon to lose lift.

Is it safe to free fall in a hot air balloon?

As long as the pilot is experienced and follows safety protocols, free falling in a hot air balloon can be safe. It is important for the balloon to be properly maintained and for the pilot to carefully monitor weather conditions.

How high can a hot air balloon free fall?

The maximum height for a hot air balloon free fall is determined by the balloon's design and the surrounding weather conditions. However, most hot air balloon free falls are limited to a few hundred feet to minimize risk.

What precautions should be taken before attempting a free fall in a hot air balloon?

Before attempting a free fall, the pilot should carefully assess weather conditions, ensure proper maintenance of the balloon, and brief all passengers on safety procedures. It is also important to have a backup plan in case the free fall needs to be aborted.

Can a hot air balloon free fall be controlled?

Yes, a hot air balloon free fall can be controlled by the pilot using the burner to heat up the air inside the envelope and regain lift. However, sudden changes in weather or equipment malfunctions can make it difficult to control the descent.